PDA

View Full Version : McAffee

freakout
03-18-2014,
Win xp home SP3. Came with programs installed. I get a warning from McAfee Security Scan Plus that my laptop virus and spyware and firewall need attention. I run McAfee Internet Security and the results say virus, spyware, web, email protection are showing red signals for program, updates are current, all files checked and no viruses detected firewall protection on. I've not been experiencing any unexplained activity on my laptop. Why these two different reports? Scan Plus wants to sell me better protection. Internet Security runs until April 2014. Would removing Scan Plus cause any problems with the rest of McAfee whatever that might be?Appreciate your opinions or suggestions. I don't plan to do any major overhaul on this machine - just want it to last until April.

freakout
03-24-2014,
This happens when you have more then one AV running.

freakout
03-30-2014,
What other AV could I have? Where would I look? Control Panel shows only these two mcAfee entries - are they 2 av programs. I knew I had internet security, I don't know where the other came from - somewhat recently, I think. I've been using this laptop for quite some time, and this warning has been showi8ng up on in the last two weeks.

freakout
04-05-2014,
Open Security Center by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Security Center.

Click on virus protection.

Chistabo
04-11-2014,
Hi -

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

Chistabo
04-17-2014,
I did as you said. It seems I have a Windows Firewall as well as Windows virus protection. I wasn't aware of that. So I should get rid of one set or the other? I'm going to need some time to check out other replies before I start doing anything. I don't know why all this just suddenly starting happening with McAfee. We'll see. Why install other security systems if you already have Windows Firewall and Virus protection? As I said, this laptop came this way. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Chistabo
04-23-2014,
McAfee Security Scan Plus is not an antivirus program in the conventional sense

http://promos.mcafee.com/LegacyLp/en-us/affiliates/adobe/landingpages/np681.asp

It is actually a program that is attached to other third party downloads if you forget to uncheck the installation offer. Adobe Flash for instance has this attached and you must uncheck the selection to install it to avoid it being installed.