PDA

View Full Version : The windows updates monitoring thread

Andrewfeed
06-06-2015,
This should be in a general windows forum, but there isn't one so i have put it into the windows 8 section. I didn't think it would last long in general chat and couldn't put it in news.

Ok, so recently we have been reminded by events (several different types of severe crashes caused in august by dodgy updates, and sneaky attempts by microsoft to push 8.1 updates) that updates, critical as some of them may be, shouldn't be blindly and instantly installed. I have started this thread in the hope it will be continued as a list of updates as, or shortly after, they come out where users can report compatibility problems, severe problems, sneaky tactics, other problems, badly done coding (for anyone who can understand it), crashes or othr issues experinced after installing updates. Ideally reports would have certainty as to WHICH (because updates usualy come in bunches) update caused what issue/ did what/ added what "feature"/"flaw" / wrecked which third party software program /etc /etc. Because with the way microsoft provides it's information on these matters it can be extremely cryptic and it is clear that when they make mistakes/try dirty tactics thye do not want to tell the world that they have just done it. I don't know if any other websites, forum threads are currently giving user reports of what updates are doing (as shortly after the update's release as possible) but i think it would be a very benficial thing to start. Ofcourse it would cover updates to every and all windows product, and probably back date the honest reports for several months into the past as well (because many users don't get offered some updates until ages after the release date when most got it).

Go on report YOUR experiences...

and no rants or arguments please, just reports

AndrewHak
06-07-2015,
basically, after I upgraded to 8.1 I started having issues. and I don't want to go in there and look to see that it's still hanging...I had to restart due to an update.....

what do you think? should I just shut it down and keep turning it on like I have? (more at the link to my thread.....)

AndrewFeno
06-07-2015,
A new load of updates came out today, anyone had problems yet? On windows 8 there are 24 or so important ones, including many for patching the microsoft office programs (word, publisher,powerpoint,excel). As far as the summaries of what the updates which a user sees in the "windows update" section of "control panel" they are very vague, the text describing every single one of them saying exactly the same thing except for the bit saying which product the update is for. The windows site may have more detail, i haven't read through them all yet. One has to wonder if employees of certain tech companies from betting pools based on "how many windows users that we know/work with will have a problem caused by this latest update". Once again it's the nasty matter of trying to work out how the risk of being not fully up to date for a few days compares with the risk of updates causing crashes, time (and a quick count of thread titles in the windows sections of this forum) will probably tell. If you've updated already and had a crash, report it. if you've updated and now windows 8 is trying to force upgrade to 8.1, report it. if you've updated and you can't boot up, report it. if you've updated and one of the updates failed but others worked, report it. if you've updated and it all went fine, report that too. it's all worth knowing.

Once again, reports please, not arguments.

AndrewHami
06-08-2015,
Heard rumours on the bbc news website that some of these microsoft windows updates are "critical" level, i'm going ahead and installing most(21 out of 24) of the updates which have been offered to me this tuesday. I will report how they go once they are finished. I'll also report excatly which 21 from the 24 were installed.

Andrewhasp
06-09-2015,
None of the following updates caused a severe crash upon installation, i was able to boot up normally after installation and restarted the computer several times afterwards, each time it turned on fine. The computer in question is a windows 8 64 bit machine, i cannot report whether any of the updates have messed anything up or tried forcing an upgrade to 8.1 because they have only been on this machine for an hour or so.

KB2889828

KB2899521

KB2687275

KB3005607

KB2976536

KB3006226

KB3002885

KB2978121

KB3008627

KB3003743

KB2992611

KB2589386

KB2878251

KB2889935

KB890830

KB3010788

KB2837602

KB2993958

KB2978127

KB3004150

KB3003057

admin
06-11-2015,
A new, and rather important one (i have heard) just came out. It is marked as critical and is a security update. on windows 8 it appeared as KB3011780 . I have just installed it and got some minor crashes, it seemed to install fine and the computer restarted but then when i logged on i spent ages watching the little bleeping circle whirling round until i realised i had to "hard restart" with the powr button. After that i restarted and shut down and turned it back on a few times and was then able to boot up and login without trouble, the update appeared to have installed. I can't yet say for certain if this has any 8.1 related "dirty tricks" bundled into this update but i doubt it in a security one, it shoudln't but i won't know for sure until a few weeks have passed. I would advise installing this update but make sure you have a working system image just incase it goes wrong. as ever my specifications are windows 8, 64 bit, avg as antivirus, toshiba laptop. I'm glad microsoft released this on a tuesday, i make a point of always checking for updates on that day of the week.