PDA

View Full Version : iTunes for Windows - Why all the hate?

Boghog
12-31-2012,
Let me start off by saying: I'm no Apple fanboy by any means. I have a custom built Windows 8 machine (love W8), have an Xperia Z Ultra, and am a big fan of most of Google Services (getting to that in a bit).

However, when it comes to my media management, I can't find anything to replace iTunes. WinAmp and MediaMonkey, the top two competitors it seems, both look like garbage in comparison. Same with library management - iTunes makes it super easy. My only qualms with are:

No FLAC support.
The bloatware it installs (Bonjour, iTunes Helper Service, Apple Software Update, etc.)
Uses a bit more memory than I'd like.
Doesn't natively sync my Z Ultra (which is to be expected).

I've heard the complaints that it's bloated and slow, but I haven't seen either of those occurring. It installs a couple helper services that I mentioned earlier, but I just disable those. I never see slowness - it works just as fast as any of my other applications (And, FWIW, my entire media library is on a server on my network rather than being stored locally).

I've also tried to use Google Music. My entire library is up there, and I tried using it for a while. While it's pretty convenient, library syncing can be iffy at times, the Google Music app on Android needs a lot of work (I typically use PowerAmp), I can't use my equalizer when listening to it through Chrome, and it compresses my music even further.

So - why do people avoid iTunes like the plague? And can anybody suggest a media player that has equivalent or better library management, pretty/polished UI, and a user-friendly and intuitive interface?

Chistabo
01-04-2013,
I have been asking this to myself myself for some time, and still got to find an answer…
What honestly bothered me (and probably still would) when I was a Windows user was – being myself an UI enthusiast – Apple’s terrible habit of fauxing the Mac OS interface on top of its Windows applications, instead of simply embracing the OS’ native UI.
That said I too found it to be a pretty solid application, and not the horrible bloat that people usually makes it look like. At the very beginning (I was “forced” to use it when I bought my first and only iPod in 2005) I hated the library concept, but quickly got used to it and never had any significant problem that I can think of.

AriGold
01-08-2013,
Spotify can be an option for you? streaming music is the next big thing now.

Bartster
01-12-2013,
Spotify Premium: Offline Mode. I don’t remember the last time I downloaded an album. I’ll just stream it and if I really like it I’ll buy the CD since I do still like to “own” things.

Chistabo
01-16-2013,
I honestly don’t know. I’ve managed a 200GB library on iTunes for Windows and it was fine? You’re right to question the value of alternatives too, they’re all either a bit dodgy or incredibly complex and powerful.