PDA

View Full Version : What are some Photoshop/Illustrator skills that you think a first-timer needs to lear

filipesantos
01-26-2013,
The title says it all. I'm trying to get into using Photoshop/Illustrator but I don't know where to begin. Some advice would be much appreciated. I've been to tutorial websites like this, this, and this, but I don't know what to start with.

Some things I would like to learn are how to create renders like this or make some Feltron-style graphs for school.

Something more urgent is how to create the red translucent effect in this image.

Thanks in advance! (Sorry for the lack of words, I'm quite tired :( )

DOSCAT
01-30-2013,
Those are good sites to check out. Photoshop for me was mostly through trial and error and gradual picing up of skills over the years, but for Illustrator, master the pen and your pathfinder tools first. Do a quick search and you should be able to find some good tutorials to help you.

Coldaluminium
02-03-2013,
Red translucent effect is done using the pen tool, either in Photoshop or Illustrator, but for me prefer Illustrator. Draw out the outline using the pen tool and then change the opacity.

All the best!

*Shit spelling, my bad. Early in the morn here.

BjornSeinstra
02-07-2013,
Ran out of time to edit the last comment, and I just wanted to add that the most effective way I found to learn how to use the pen tool is to keep practicing by drawing over the top of photographs until you feel comfortable with it.

You’ll probably start out trying to rigidly follow the lines of any picture, but when you get to grips with it, you’ll find that you only need to use photos for things like proportion and poses, whereas everything else will be your own unique drawing style.