PDA

View Full Version : Java editor/compiler for Mac?

Kengen
05-23-2013,
I am in an intro to computer science class in college. I am in need of a java editor/compiler for Mac. I know terminal can compile but I don't know how to use it. Are there any easy to install java programs? My professor only knows how to work Windows. Help would be appreciated!!!

levo
05-27-2013,
Isn’t the “magic” of Java that it is cross-platform? Whatever your professor is using on Windows (Eclipse? http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/moreinfo/java.php ) should work on the Mac as well.

maisonyeah
05-31-2013,
The Big 3 are NetBeans, Eclipse and Intellij.
They are all written in Java and are MacOS, Windows and Linux compatible.

You’ve just got to try each and see which one works best for you. Personally, I like my NetBeans. It is also a good editor and debugger for HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP and also C/C++.

If you are planning to head into Android programming, Eclipse used to be the thing, but now Intellij is the main choice. I do agree that Eclipse is a rather confusing jumble.

BUT… you should use whatever your Lecturer is using. It will make your life so much easier.
If your teacher only understands how to do things on a command line… well, you have to learn the basics of javac and so forth too.

maisonyeah
06-04-2013,
Java is a product of Oracle.
At the base of everything will be the Oracle command line programs and libraries

A simple text editor is fine for basic learning. When your program only consists of one .java file.
All IDEs have a learning curve, and maybe you don’t need that extra tonne of stuff to absorb just yet.

Learning those java command line programs is worth the trouble. It’s a base bit of knowledge that will is worth having.

MickeyFinn
06-08-2013,
I’m all new to this. Thanks for all the info. I feel stupid.