PDA

View Full Version : Telstra trials public Wi-Fi network with free access ( Australia )

ahowbjgdli
07-11-2015,

Telstra will begin a trial of its nation-wide public Wi-Fi network this November, installing Wi-Fi hotspots in busy public hubs and in its network of payphones across Australia. As a sweetener, Wi-Fi access at the 1,000 hotspots will also be free in advance of the network's official launch early next year.Quote

"For the first time you'll be able to use your home broadband allowance outside the house...all you have to do is share a little bit of your broadband access with others -- you can use their hotspots, they can use yours," Telstra said of the new network when it was announced in May.http://www.cnet.com/au/news/telstra-trials-public-wi-fi-network-with-free-access/

Oh I can't wait for the security nightmare. And as for pay phone sites any Australian can tell you these are few and far between.

Hang on, This will have a user name and password like any wifi? Can you say Reaver, and aircrack and Mac Changer.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif

AHicascierge
07-12-2015,
Lel, we're the slowest to get everything, slapped on with huge tax and cost. While the world complains about their gigbit up/down, we still enjoy our 20mbit down and 1mbit up.

As for free WiFi, what the hell is that? :D

Security-wise, nobody in the public have any idea what that is. -.-

aibikkagcq
07-12-2015,
lol......I wasnt aware that you could spell 'security' with only 4 letters......

"free" & "telstra" is a contradiction in terms......the two words are generally not used in the same sentence....

.....and if you actually enjoy a 20mb download speed you must live beside a telstra exchange !!

......and i can just see the locals pulling up a chair beside the local telephone box......

ailsalsm
07-13-2015,
I am with Exatell and get 16 down and 1 up, Thats not bad for around here.

"free" & "telstra" is a contradiction in terms......the two words are generally not used in the same sentence....
Yes.

......and i can just see the locals pulling up a chair beside the local telephone box......
Will add a whole new meaning to the words Social and Media.

AizenSousuke
07-14-2015,
Hi -
I'm with iiNet and get about 15 down and 1 up constantly.......There is never a change of more than .1 or .2 up or down.

But I'm trying to work on a Toshiba All in one, and it shows Full WiFi signal but I am lucky to get online at almost any time.

I reset everything, clean all infections, and have not been able to improve anything on it.
In Ocean Grove, the NBN has not made it, and I can usually reset it to get on to I.E or F/fox. It stops 3kms up the road and that is it ..........

Why will it show 100% reception, and not allow me to be on the net for more than a few seconds ???? Yes I know - Government needs votes up the road, not here.

I got here long enough to download RKill / AdwCleaner / MBAM / TDSS, and the link for Emsisoft from dc3 ...over 5 attempts....so it is squeaky clean.

Telstra refuse to call us back on a mobile, and the home phone is via the computer, so it will not work for more than a few seconds.

EDIT - And they pay for a Reasonably Top-level Plan .......