PDA

View Full Version : New to Mac, What should I do for security/malware protection?

elsaxo18
07-22-2015,
Hey friends!

I just bought my first Mac. It is an 11" Macbook air (2014). I have never owned a Mac and could use some help deciding what to do for security and malware protection.
Thank you for the support!

ford.warrickjr
07-23-2015,
First off: welcome to the community, and congratulations on your choice (as that also means you will have much less to worry about security-wise than if you had gone with a Windows PC). ;)
That being said, Macs are not impervious to malware; however, OS X has some pretty nifty security measures already put in place, active out of the box at various levels, namely a malware blacklist and a system-wide binary blocking mechanism named Gatekeeper. If you wish for extra levels of security (and the occasional exception if you do need to run the odd unsigned software for some reason), you may wish to check this Apple Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

fastbucks
07-23-2015,
Thanks so much for the info and extra guidance joaofrgomes! It is very much appreciated. I look forward to finally switching from a PC, and you have helped to confirm that I have made the right choice.
Have a great day buddy!

futurepro62
07-24-2015,
Hey,
I just figured out a problem with my mac. Whenever i use pendrive (transcend) or hard disk (seagate) on my mac – scanned with Clamxav – transferred data – deleted all files – when used in other system (other than mac) shows some hidden files (which i think are viruses)

gianluca87
07-25-2015,
Any idea?
I have already scanned mac using Clamxav still facing this issue..can you please help me out with this?