PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking w/Autoruns

Brandondert
08-25-2015,
Since I've become a new member, I've read a wealth of information on this site. As a result, I've been tweaking my system like crazy. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif

I downloaded Autoruns and fired it up to see what else is loading up at startup. I found some things that I no longer needed and used msconfig to uncheck them....I'm not sure unchecking in Autoruns does the same thing....let me know if it does as that would be much simpler!

Anyway, I found a few items I'm not to sure about and that is my reason for posting. I'm mostly concerned at the moment with those entries that are highlighted in yellow. Not sure what the ones highlighted in pink are yet.

========================

"Logon Tab"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
Internet Explorer File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ie4uinit.exe

I know this file is present and I've read on this sight that it is required but I'm not sure why it's required when it doesn't even successfully load. So can I uncheck this?

BrandonReoP
08-27-2015,
\ASUS\ASUS AI Suite II Execute File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AsRoutineController.exe
\ASUS\ASUS DigiVRM Help File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\DIGI+ VRM\VRMHelp.exe
\ASUS\USB 3.0 Boost Service File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\USB 3.0 Boost\U3BoostSvr.exe

(I believe these are from the ASUS AI Suite that I installed from a disc that came with the motherboard when I first built this system. Since that time, I uninstalled this because I found it was just a graphical representation of what I could do in BIOS already. So, can I uncheck these or do I need to do that from Task Scheduler?)

\{27319C14-41CC-4F71-9776-94F404E3AEE3} File not found: D:\INSTALL.EXE
\{B1DFE27B-5BEC-4A9F-8E9F-AA1B16DCA4CD} File not found: D:\INSTALL.EXE
\{C4E83887-0E7A-46C3-AACF-1A95E73550C8} File not found: D:\INSTALL.EXE

(Now according to your Startup Programs Database, these are probably remnants from a Trojan. Whats interesting is that they are being looked for on my BlueRay Burner...D: drive. Can I go ahead and uncheck these?)

BrandonTup
08-29-2015,
Hi,

The IE entry under the Logon tab is probably a glitch following an upgrade from IE9 to IE10 (if you've done that). The best way to resolve this particular issue is as follows:

1. From the Control Panel, select Programs and Features
2. Select Turn Windows features on or off
3. Uncheck the Internet Explorer 10 entry. You will get warnings of impending doom but proceed anyway
4. Restart your system
5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 but this time check the Internet Explorer 10 entry

When you run Autoruns again, the 'File not found' error should be gone.

In relation to the entries under the Task Scheduler tab, you can deselect all 6 entries from within Autoruns. It is unusual to see scheduled tasks pointing to a removable drive.

If, after a couple of days, you have not seen any error messages and there no errors relating to these entries in the event logs, then you can re-run Autoruns, right click on each of these entries and select delete. That will completely remove them from the task scheduler.

BrendaOi
08-29-2015,
G'day linuxpowers,
I would be ensuring that you have system restore points in place BEFORE you start removing check marks etc etc
Better still.....a full system BACKUP would be even better.......and you can always use ERUNT (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/) to back up your registry

An ounce of prevention is better than a tonne of cure.