PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE: Hackers are having a "Field Day" with Software Vulnerabilities

BrianABRABS
08-25-2015,
The top 4 pieces of most commonly used vulnerable 3rd party software in 2012 / 2013 / 2014 are:

Oracle Java Runtime environment
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Flash Player / Plugin
Apple Quicktime

Of these 4, the Oracle Java Runtime Environment accounts for 180 registered vulnerabilities alone in 2013.

BroonryDoka
08-27-2015,
Glad i got rid of java months back, use chrome for all my pdf needs and don't use quicktime. Flash player isn't so easy though, i use the one within chrome but if i remember rightly it is almost identical to the adobe one.
The worst piece about all this though is that those 4 programs are almost always pre-installed on new machines, such that beginner users would think they are all needed for the system to function and hence won't uninstall/replace them.

BryantBins
08-28-2015,
This is not new.

We at BC have been warning our members for years that older versions of popular software such as Adobe (Acrobat Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player), Java, Windows Media Player, Web Browsers are vulnerable to exploits and should be kept updated. There are serious security issues with older versions which can increase the risk of system infection. Infections spread by malware writers and attackers exploiting unpatched security holes or vulnerabilities in older versions. Software applications are a favored target of malware writers who continue to exploit coding and design vulnerabilities with increasing aggressiveness.

BryatntBins
08-28-2015,
Infections spread by malware writers and attackers exploiting unpatched security holes or vulnerabilities in older versions. Software applications are a favored target of malware writers who continue to exploit coding and design vulnerabilities with increasing aggressiveness.

buejtwiqdb
08-30-2015,
The worst piece about all this though is that those 4 programs are almost always pre-installed on new machines, such that beginner users would think they are all needed for the system to function and hence won't uninstall/replace them.