PDA

View Full Version : Can file sharing be turned off with Windows firewall disabled?

exdriver
08-02-2015,
I use a third party firewall (Comodo) so have Windows firewall disabled to avoid conflicts. I would like to turn off file sharing but can find no way of doing this without enabling Windows firewall. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Faricofiupdam
08-04-2015,
Thanks Louis. Pretty certain I had network location type set to public but noticed I hadn't. Anyway, OK now. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif

firebreathz
08-05-2015,
Unfortunately the problem is still there. Although I have public network selected which, according to your link, should automatically turn off file sharing, file sharing is shown as being on in network and sharing center. So, as I said in my first post, how do I turn off file sharing without enabling Windows firewall?

Franciset
08-07-2015,
I suppose you could drill down into the properties of a connection and uncheck file and printer sharing and supposedly this would be method of turning of file and printer sharing but this would be a very round about way of doing it - And it would not change that green bubble saying file sharing is on. A firewall's job is to deny/approve connections. By turning it off you are inherently making a computer more insecure - you are telling the machine to allow all connections. I have not done enough of my homework to tell you whether it is possible to turn of enough services to not let others connects to you.

ford.warrickjr
08-07-2015,
Thanks for the reply. I hear what you're saying about turning off firewalls, but it's not as if I'm not using one - the reason I switched to Comodo is because I was unhappy with Windows firewall. It seems crazy that Vista is incapable of turning file sharing off unless Windows firewall is enabled, especially when I'm using a superior firewall. Security Center warns about using multiple firewalls but functionality is clearly compromised if you're using a third party firewall unless Windows firewall is also enabled.