View Full Version : random windows opening and crazy cursor

Hi All,

I was over in another area of the forums called "am i infected" and after following all their instructions it was determined that my computer is not infected with a virus of any sort.

I am running vista on a dell inspiron 1545. I've had it for about 3 years and when i first got it i had a lot of issues with the touchpad and keyboard acting erratically. After a lot of back and forth with dell and a ton of frustration, updating the touchpad driver and disabling the zoom option seemed to solve the problem. At that time, the problem was with typing. For instance, I'd be typing an email and the cursor would jump all over the page. Text would get highlighted and deleted, spaces would pop up, random letters appear, the keyboard seemed possessed. Dell sent me a new keyboard and ultimately a new laptop but it still happened. Through forums like this on line I found others experiencing the same problem and that's how i found the fix.

The other night all of a sudden windows started opening and closing randomly and very quickly. I lost internet connection and then the network couldn't be identified until the router was reset. The computer becomes totally useless. I can't do anything with it. It will be fine for a couple hours and then all of a sudden it becomes possessed. Considering the history with this machine, I'm assuming it's the touchpad driver again.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Have you tried system restore?

Did you notice what windows were opening then closing?

I suggest running the Dell diagnostic utility prior to performing any fixes just to insure your hardware isn't at fault. You can access the Dell diagnostic utility by powering your system completely down, powering it back up, as soon as you see the Dell logo tap the f12 button and select the utility.