PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of tech?

alyssaqg69
08-17-2015,
Felt like writing something up. Let me know what you guys think...
Damn you Science Fiction! For years now we have been salivating at the idea of being able to interact with our computers the same way they do in the Sci-Fi movies and shows, but I for one am coming to the crushing realization that they might work better in theory than in actual practice.

AmandadoKag
08-19-2015,
We are finally able to recreate some of these technologies like video chat and voice input, yet text messaging is one of the most-popular and fastest-growing ways of communicating, and I have a hunch things like Siri aren't going to be used as much as we might think.

AmandaPoks
08-20-2015,
Texting is technologically inferior to the new futuristic tech available. So why does this antiquated form of communication continue to gain ground on more advanced things like phone and video calls? There are a couple unique characteristics of text messaging that I think are the driving force of this trend. First off, the more comfortable people become when interfacing with technology, the less attention they have to devote to using it. I read that the average teen(13-17) now sends 3,339 (http://www.bgr.com/2010/10/15/u-s-teens-average-3339-text-messages-per-month/) text messages a month—that's over 100 a day. They are able to do this because they have become amazing multi-taskers. From doing chores or homework, to watching movies or even having face to face conversation, it’s become second nature for these kids to juggle all their virtual conversations at the same time.

amugyynbs
08-20-2015,
If you compare that to making a video, a phone call, or feeding your phone voice commands, you can begin to see why these conversations take up too much time and focus for just one interaction! “Like OMG, you mean I have to drop almost everything I’m doing to talk to this person? How boring!” - BieberFanGirl2011

Amilyynhnu
08-21-2015,
I think the second major part of the equation is the privacy factor. When you use voice commands or make video calls in public you surrender your privacy. I’m betting the last time you had a personal conversation on your mobile device you weren't sitting in a crowded public lobby—unless it was via texting, and you can bet your ass that BieberFanGirl2011 is secretly sexting her boyfriend at the family dinner table. Only time will tell if the same lack of privacy applies when using voice commands in public, but I’m thinking some of the same ideas apply. Obviously there are always exceptions, and we have all suffered through “that guy” having his public speakerphone conversation, and I’m sure we will run into him having a deep conversation with Siri sometime in the near future. However I do think this is the exception to the rule.