PDA

View Full Version : separating layers in a photo

akelet_447
09-13-2015,
Hello, I am a working on a research wildlife research project which employs camera traps. The camera traps have the option to have an information strip put on each photo. This sometimes blocks important parts of the photo. I initially thought it was below the photo but I realized that when the photo is a thumbnail in a folder (to small to make out what is in the photo) or I am cycling quickly through the photos in photo viewer software (to quickly to make out what is in the photo) the strip disappears and what is underneath it is visible. It is obviously two layers in the same photo. I want to know if there is a way to separate them. I have spoken to representatives from the company and asked around before posting to this site, but no one has any useful information. I hope that the expertise here at Bleeping Computer will have some guidance to fixing this issue.

AlbertMi
09-14-2015,
What sort of cameras are you using and what type of image are they producing ? Most camera systems produce images of the JPEG type, these typically have the extension after the file name of '.jpg'. A number of high end cameras can produce images in the RAW format.

Albertmuff
09-15-2015,
JPEGs are single layer images, as are RAW types so there are no layers to separate. I very seldom use the RAW setting on my own Nikon but it does allow a tremendous amount of image enhancement. I just fired off a couple of images to test and my graphics processing software shows only one layer. I use Serif's PhotoPlus, a product very similar to Adobe's Photoshop.

Alberthal
09-17-2015,
I suspect what you are seeing, or rather not seeing, is an effect of the thumbnail creation or rapid viewing process. The only way to remove such a data strip - a date/time stamp for example - is to overpaint it pixcel by pixcel in the colour you think should be there. That is fine and acceptable for 'artistic' photos, like some I had to deal with from a friend's 60th anniversary dinner, but is almost certainly not acceptable for images of a technical or scientific nature.

Albertkr
09-17-2015,
While there are definite advantages to having data like a date/time stamp on photos for some purposes I think if you want full unobstructed images you will need to turn it off.