PDA

View Full Version : Windows BSOD on Startup

ArchieMa
09-01-2015,
I am running Windows 10. When I turn my computer on I immediately get a BSOD. I cannot boot into safemode, either.

I have read the forums and tried running SFC /scannow, but and I got the following response: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

I then tried using DSM with "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" but was given Error 50, "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option"

Then I tried "dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:D:\" which had a status bar, but after it completed the SFC /scannow gave me the same error as above.

(I am not entirely sure what build if windows 10 I have, I assume the most up to date since this problem just happened a few days ago. I created the recovery disc from Microsoft's website, so ideally they match... Is there a way to double check the build type from the command prompt, in case that's the issue?)

I have also tried booting to a USB windows disc, hoping to "upgrade" windows as a way of fixing it without losing data. This did not work - it told me I cannot upgrade if I booted off of the USB but need to boot from the harddrive. (Of course I can't do that.)

I just paid a licensing fee for a piece of software that I will have to pay for again if I cannot save the computer. I really want to fix the windows install and re-installing or resetting where I would lose data is my last option. Does anyone have advice on how to save the windows install?

(In a second question, I have a samsung laptop with a samsung SSD. Is there a chance the harddrive is corrupt instead of the windows install? Unfortunately samsung BIOS will not let me run a harddrive diagnostic. Is there a way to run the diagnostic from the command prompt, or another method?)

arlesel
09-03-2015,
Hi

The way you are running SFC doesn't work like that:

In Command Prompt in Recovery Environment, type notepad and press enter
Go to File > Open
Go to your hard disk and remember the letter
Close notepad and in command prompt, type this command:
sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
Where c is the letter of your hard disk

Does it work now?

-CKing

ArmandoAnig
09-04-2015,
Thank you for the quick response.

The notepad trick seemed to show Boot Drive as X and Local Disc as C. When I ran SFC with X in both places where you had C, I was told "the arguments passed to sfc are invalid. The offline windows directory specified points to the online system."

I just ran it again with C in both places where you have C and SFC ran. It said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." But it did not fix the problem - I still can't boot past the BSOD. I have a CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED error like usual.