PDA

View Full Version : Computer very unstable; shuts off without BSOD

Anthonybem
09-07-2015,
I've had trouble with this computer ever since I built it, but until yesterday it was more of an annoyance than anything else. The usual issue is it will just turn off without notice. If I'm using the computer at the time, it'll completely freeze for 30-90 seconds then just shut down. It comes back up and usually is fine after that for a while. Sometimes it'll be a week, sometimes months before it shuts off again. (Today, I've been lucky to keep the computer on for more than an hour! The only time I had any luck was in safe mode. After I post I'm going to put it in safe mode again and see if it makes it through the night.)

Recently, though, another symptom has come up: certain programs will stop working until I uninstall and reinstall them, namely Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office. Acrobat will give me a message about some security setting not being right, and then it says it's missing a dll. When I reinstall it works fine. I forget what error Office was telling me, but doing a "full repair" (i.e. reinstall and reentering the product key) fixed the issue, until now. Office was telling me that my product key was invalid or unavailable or something, so I reinstalled, but I got an error when entering the key. I tried everything I found online clean boot, full uninstall, nothing.

At this point I'm ready to reinstall Windows, but first I wanted to try a couple of things. First I tried the sfc, but that didn't work ("found corrupt files but couldn't fix them"). Then I tried the DISM, but that didn't work ("the source files could not be downloaded"). I scoured the internet for fixes to these, but the fixes also didn't work. So many of the problems seem to be related to Windows that I decided screw it, I'm just going to do a refresh. That didn't work ("there was a problem fixing your PC"). I tried downloading the Media Creation Tool. The first time it was working, and then my computer shut down in the middle. Then after that the tool wouldn't work anymore (it gave error messages at various stages of the process). I downloaded it a second time and it's not working either (the first time I opened it the computer instantly crashed. Oh, and somewhere along the way (maybe before I started the process?) whenever I go into the Windows Settings App it tells me that my OS is not activated...

So here I am. Honestly, I just want to wipe and start over, but I just can't get it to work.

OS -- Windows 10 x64
What was original installed OS on system? Windows 8.1
Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail
Age of system (hardware) ~18 months, some hardware is older
Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? ~18 months (Windows 10 for ~12 months). As I said above, I want to reinstall, but it won't work

CPU -- AMD FX-6300 @ stock settings
Video Card -- Radeon R7 200
MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3p
Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus (550W)
The main hard drive is an OCZ ARC-100 240GB SDD and only the operating system is on this disk

System Manufacturer me
Exact model number N/A

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Anthonybeni
09-10-2015,
If you can't finish an install using the Media Creation Tool, then this is most likely a hardware problem.
I think it would be to your benefit to ensure that you've identified the faulting hardware component before proceeding.
To do this, try these 2 things:
- hardware diagnostics: http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
- hardware diagnostics by stripdown: http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

We can also take a look at these 2 sets of reports to see if we can find something out from them:
Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Anthonybib
09-10-2015,
Well, I'm now getting BSOD's...

This morning (before your post) I decided to try the HDD Diagnostics as suggested in the sticky. It immediately failed the long test, and when I got back from work the short test was stuck at 10% (the icon was still spinning, but the test never got past 10%).
I took out the CD and rebooted into the normal Windows environment. It froze and turned off when it was logging in (after I entered my password).
I turned the computer back on and booted into the normal Windows environment again. This time I got all the way to opening up the browser, loading BleepingComputer, and attaching the output from the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App that I ran last night (I messed up my post and it didn't attach). Before I could save it, the computer turned off again.
When I turned the computer back on, I got a BSOD: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. It went into an automatic repair and started repairing disk errors. I stepped away for a moment, so I didn't see what happened. When I came back, I was seeing the same BSOD. Long story short, now I keep seeing the same error and can't get Windows to boot, even in safe mode (standard or with networking).

So while I wait for a reply I'm going to run MemTest (since I already have an image on a CD somewhere).

AnthonyBuiC
09-11-2015,
Please finish the diagnostics.

It looks like you'll need to purchase a new HDD (unless the system is under warranty) and some recovery media.
If you have your 8.1 product key (or can recover it from within Windows), that'll be sufficient to install W10.
I'd suggest that you do all of this prior to 28 July - so you won't have to worry about the free upgrade offer expiring.

AnthonyBes
09-11-2015,
Ok, MemTest86 made it through 3 passes and is 44% way through a fourth after 12 hours with no errors found. When you say to finish the diagnostics, do you mean check the remaining hard drives with SeaTools? I'll try and get that started before I go to work.