PDA

View Full Version : No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

Andrewzen
09-26-2015,
Yesterday I upgraded my SSD from a 500 GB drive to a 1 TB drive. I cloned the drive with Acronis True Image 2016. It seemed to work, but then it wouldn't boot up. I followed some instructions I found on another forum about how to repair the bcd (by booting up using the Windows 10 USB stick and going into the command prompt and running several commands), and that worked. The computer now boots up. However, I have now noticed that there is no listing under the MSConfig boot tab. Also, I don't know if System Restore is working - under C:, it says Missing. I am not sure what to do now. I need to boot into Safe Mode, but I can't select Safe Mode in MSConfig because there is nothing listed under the Boot tab. It seems likely that whatever I did at the command prompt has messed things up. Anyone have any idea how I would fix this?

Here are 4 different screen shots I took to show you what some of the issues are:

This shows what I have under the MSConfig Boot tab:
https://s25.postimg.org/n1yswtodb/ice_screenshot_20160807_141343.png

Andyuk
09-27-2015,
Hello mcomp72,

I am guessing that when you made the backup clone of the drive that not all the system reserved partitions was included. Lets look at your bcd...Go to search and type cmd and run as admin. type bcdedit > c:\bcd.txt Copy that into your next post.

andu77
09-28-2015,
Here is what was inside the TXT file:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The requested system device cannot be found.

Also... I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in case it is:
- My BIOS is UEFI
- My new SSD is formatted using GPT
- I don't know if my old SSD was formatted using GPT or MBR

Andrewbax
09-29-2015,
For Windows 10 typically you will have a..

System Reserved 100MB (System,Active,Primary Partition)
Windows 10 partition C: (boot,page file,crash dump, primary partition)
450MB (recovery partition)

For a UEFI/GPT SSD drive you will have another partition between system reserved and C: called the MSR Microsoft Reserved.

By the sound of it you made a clone of a drive, but didn't include the other partitions. Then you cloned that to your new drive. The system doesn't know how to boot the system as the UEFI boot record is all messed up and the partitions are all messed up. You will have to reinstall windows 10 fresh so that those partitions are properly built.