PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word has stopped working

christianbs95
03-23-2013,
My experience of getting a new laptop up and running continues to be beset by problems. Now Microsoft Word stops working on launch. It's Office 2013 running on Windows 7. Any idea how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Update:

A google search revealed that I should uninstall Abbyy Finereader. I uninstalled and Word seems to be working. What is Abbyy Finereader? Do I need it?

Thanks.

Abhay11
03-27-2013,
MS Office has a Repair function. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Scroll down to the MS Office 2013 entry and click on it. Click the Change button. Then click the Repair radio button and follow the onscreen instructions.

Good luck.

Abhay11
03-31-2013,
Abbey Finereader is OCR software and is often bundled with all-in-one printers and scanners. It enables you to scan a document and turn it into editable text as opposed to merely an image of the document. Of its kind, it is quite good.

If you don't need it, then not having will enable Word to work for you. If you do have a need to convert a scanned document into an editable one then you will need some sort of OCR software and I would try re-installing the Finereader and see what happens. There are a number of alternative OCR solutions out there, but I don't think there are any freeware, or even fairly cheap, versions out there.

Chris Cosgrove