PDA

View Full Version : Finding doubled spaces in Word 2010

AlvasRawuther
11-10-2013,
My problem is this. I often proofread documents for people, one of whom ends up with many extra spaces between words where they're not supposed to be. I'm trying to get Word 2010 to highlight these for me automatically but it doesn't seem to want to. It does highlight and this for me when I'm typing so I'm not sure why it's not highlighting it for other peoples extra spaces. Is there a way to force it reevaluate the document and find these?

Right now I just change the document to a font that's easier to see the spaces and manually scan, but this gets old in a 30 page document.

Thanks.

kingjoser
11-14-2013,
I usually do this with the search & replace feature.

Simply search for " " (2 spaces) and replace it with " " (1 space).

Is that an option for you?

Cheers

kingjoser
11-18-2013,
Huh, why should you need to put a space after periods? This search and replace will reduce any double, tripple, x-spaces to one.

Or do I'm not understand you?

Aerys
11-22-2013,
Yes, but it means I will then have to go back through and put in an extra space after periods.

Aerys
11-26-2013,
It's common practice where I work to have two spaces after periods that end sentences.

futurepro62
11-30-2013,
You can do it in a two-step search process. The first as already stated, search and replace the two spaces with one. Once that is done, then do a search for the period space and replace with period space space.

For what it's worth, I've run into that quite a bit.

Note, in printed text it is MUCH easier to follow with two spaces after a period. That's why that rule remains.

futurepro62
12-04-2013,
Perfect. Thank you.