PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Win8.1 Update 1 Q2 2014, Win9 Q2 2015

bljdxqiao
11-21-2015,
So it's... a Service Pack for a Service Pack?"
"DON'T CALL IT A SERVICE PACK!"

Windows 9 is due in spring 2015, though that date could change. They are apparently choosing to double down on making it even more like a tablet OS.

Maybe they should emulate Apple and start naming their OSes after something cool... like dogs!

blukxhgbx
11-22-2015,
It will be interesting to see how 9 ends up. Before that it will be just as interesting to see how well Windows tablets, hybrids and touch devices do this holiday season. The new Bay Trail devices seem to be well regarded and the prices are compelling.

I see 9 further refining the notion of the desktop/tablet hybrid. l think most of issues for desktop users can be addressed with more configuration options such as a non-full screen Start Screen, better tools for assigning default programs, etc. Having a single device that can serve multiple purposes can be compelling if the price is right.

blovlywolfa
11-22-2015,
I don't understand how it can take an entire year after 8 ships for 8.1 to launch, but somehow 8.2 is supposed to launch only a few months after 8.1

bmklhkbsbt
11-24-2015,
Wasn't there some rumor or report a year or two ago that Microsoft wanted to do away with Service Packs, and start moving towards regular updates in Windows closer to something-not-quite-like-a-rolling-release like Debian? Given the fact that Apple regularly updates OSX every year (?).

I always thought that that was what Microsoft wanted to do. It gives me this feeling Microsoft wants to simplify their releases now, and updates as well-- one OS for mobile, one OS for desktop/laptop, one app store on all platforms, one programming SDK and tools (if going by the "Threshold" rumor).

bnnxpmkggr
11-27-2015,
Mary Jo Foley. lol