PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Open Microsoft Works Files in Microsoft Word 2013

ChrisCosgrove
12-04-2013,
I recently purchased an ASUS Windows 8.1 64 bit computer. I transferred my Microsoft Works Version 8.0 word processor and spreadsheet files from my old computer onto the new computer. I just purchased the Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student Edition (64 bit version) from an online vendor and installed the software onto my new computer.

I have no problems opening my Works spreadsheet files in Excel. However, when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, I get gibberish. I did some research online and found out that there is a Microsoft tool called Works 6-9 Converter which allows one to open Works files in Word.

I downloaded the Works 6-9 Converter tool from the Microsoft Support website and installed it on my PC. However, when I subsequently attempted to open a Works word processor file in Word, a dialog box appeared with the error message "Word cannot start the converter Wks9Pxy.cnv" and the file did not open properly (i.e., I got gibberish).

I did a little more research online and found out that uninstalling the Works 6-9 Converter, then downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, and finally reinstalling the Works 6-9 Converter may correct this problem. I followed these steps, but unfortunately when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, I get the same error message and the file does not open properly.

If someone can give me advice on a successful way to open Works spreadsheet files in Word 2013, I would greatly appreciate it.

DonGiulio
12-08-2013,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/i-cant-open-any-of-my-microsoft-works-documents/c242b6da-3292-4d7d-8689-9a554ecb7171

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001017.htm

Reboot after any changes you make.

DonGiulio
12-12-2013,
Thank you for sending me these links. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.

The first link is the same one that I consulted before my post to this forum. Per the instructions, I downloaded the Works 6-9 Converter tool and then rebooted my machine, but when I subsequently attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word, a dialog box appears with the error message "Word cannot start the converter Wks9Pxy.cnv" and the file does not open properly (i.e., I get gibberish).

The second link is a blog where people mention their problems with opening Works documents in Word. One of the bloggers mentions the same site as your first link. Another blogger mentions a site where a converter for much older versions of Works (Works 3, 4, and 5) is available for download. I actually tried to install this latter converter on my PC, but I got the error message that "this app can't run on your PC".

The third link discusses a converter for Works 6.0 documents. I was able to install this converter on my machine, but I was still unable to open my Works 8.0 files in Word.

If you are aware of another potential solution for my problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you again for your help so far.