PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Won't Receive Messages

AnthonyLim
11-17-2015,
With Windows XP SP2, suddenly Outlook Express won't receive messages from the server. It connects ok (and the internet connection is fine) and attempts to download messages (you see the "downloading nn messages briefly), then reports "an unknown error has occurred...". I unintalled and reinstalled Outlook Express by Microsoft instructions. Then I DELETED all messages waiting on the server to be downloaded, then just sent a new message to myself, and got same error message. No Outlook Express settings have been changed on this computer. SENDING messages works fine - error in just receiving. Double-checked the POP address with the cable provider. I am considering a System Restore. Any other ideas? Thanks a bunch!

AnthonyPhillips
11-18-2015,
I had this problem a year back. Reset all my accounts, TCP settings, and whatnot. I finally gave up. When the cable co. finally upgraded my service it was discovered it was on their end and they reset my account. The tier one customer service rep. was not help. I had to go further up the chain of command.

AnthonySi
11-18-2015,
you do not mention who your ISP is?

Anthonywelf
11-20-2015,
Have you tried testing outlook express with an alternative account?

Sign up to Google Mail, then set up Outlook Express so you can send and receive with your Google Mail Account.

You can then start to get a clearer picture of where the problem lies.