PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express, Lost E-mails; Did Do View, Layout

bmwqgxqmdf
11-26-2015,
I had my e-mail addresses there forever in OE; and then poof they were gone! http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

I tried everything. View, layout, contacts.

I tried searching this forum, bad idea, I think I messed something up even worse?

I went to:

c:\documents and settings\owner\application data\microsoft\address book

and there were two things there:

owner.wab (address book file) and pictures of a book? 1,439 kb
owner. wab (wab ~ File) picture of ? 822 kb

same date and time were listed for each (which was today)

bnoenuhd
11-27-2015,
I clicked on the first wab and it said something about sharing and I clicked yes; hoping that would help. didn't, and I don't know if I shouldn't have done that?

I clicked on the second owner.wab and it said: "windows cannot open this file: To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Windowns can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. Neither choices helped; couldn't find it on the list; and the web couldn't find it." aaarrgghhhh

I searched in google; I've spent about 2 hours on this already!

I sure hope someone can help

I have a sony computer; xp; not old; plenty of space; no viruses; updated macafee; etc.

BobbyTog
11-27-2015,
Found this one suggestion:
" The Windows Address Book data file is kept in C:\Windows\your-username.wab by default. The update points your Windows Address Book to H:\Address Book.wab. This allows your address entries to follow you around as your favorites do. This also allows your address book to be backed up on a regular basis.

To recover your address book, user Windows Explorer to Copy C:\Windows\your-username.wab to H:\Address Book.wab "

boilogwpxo
11-27-2015,
this is too technical for me http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif
I just spent 1.5 hours trying to figure this out!!

you said:
" The Windows Address Book data file is kept in C:\Windows\your-username.wab by default.
The update points your Windows Address Book to H:\Address Book.wab.
This allows your address entries to follow you around as your favorites do. This also allows your address book to be backed up on a regular basis.
and:
To recover your address book, user Windows Explorer to Copy C:\Windows\your-username.wab to H:\Address Book.wab "

boroVika
11-29-2015,
I went to c:\windows\and got no further
I don't know what "your-username.wab" is; I assume I was looking for my name? but I couldn't find it

then I went to the link you gave me; and spent so long
and now I've messed up something else

when I right click on something now to sent to e-mail; I don't get outlook express; I get gmail; which dont' use
is it because I went to tools, options, general, and change default mail handler? if so, I can't seem to change it back; it's greyed out;
but I think it's supposed to be!

also, in tools, options, connections, should the "contact list" be microsoft outlook (I use OE) or "address book"
there's only those two choices
I chose address book; but then it went back to microsof to mirosoft outlook I think http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif
I'm going crazy