PDA

View Full Version : Self Branding Names

Brandonisof
11-20-2015,
Hi guys,

A question I've always had in my mind, what's better for a freelancer, branding under a company name, or branding under your own name?

I've always worked under my own name through GregFindley.com, but have thought of many 'company' name alternatives, I've even designed logos, registered domains and with one got as far as a web design concept!

I would see the advantages of being under a company name being that you can project a bigger images of your company (if needed) and I would personally feel more confident in saying 'Hi, Greg from company name' on the phone for example. That said I do know the advantages of working under your own name, in that you have a personal reputation and people know instantly who they're dealing with.

Interested in hearing everyone's views on this one http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png

BrandonMn
11-22-2015,
Coming from a corporate background, I have always known how to present under brand names which helps with the bigger projects. I guess it's really what your goals are. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Some big companies do hire freelancers based on short term but would they have second thoughts about assigning long term contracts or tenders for them.

Presenting yourself as a company may scare off people who may think that you are too big or too expensive for them.

Duncan Bannatyne said in his book (don't quote me as it said something like this...) If you want to hire a professional who takes pride in his work then pick someone who trades by his own name...

I see his point. Do a bad job then your physical name becomes bad. Do a good job however then your physical name will spread.

BrandonReoP
11-22-2015,
Cheers for the reply Kay, as you say it all depends on personal goals, I think for the time being I'm going to stick with my own name as I have been and look to rebrand that as we discussed on my folio review thread http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png

Still interested to hear opinions on this as I will no doubt look at this again in the future.
Thanks, Greg

BrandonVal
11-24-2015,
Go under your own name if you are going freelance if your approaching design agencies. They are employing YOU. It also stops silly or tacky design brand names floating about. For every Pentagram, there are a thousand 'designerz' doing 'grafix'.

Trading under your own name never harmed Micheal Wolf or Wally Olins, Landor, Smith and Milton, Lewis Moberly...

breadman
11-24-2015,
Thanks for your reply Lee, I agree with the points you've raised, and I'm pleased to say since posting this thread I have decided to stick with my own name and spend some time finally getting my logo and website updated. Would be great to get your feedback on my logo work if you have a chance - http://www.designforums.co.uk/logos-identity-branding/522-updated-logo-identity.html

Welcome to Design Forums by the way!
Thanks, Greg