PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a Portfolio

Audreysn
12-16-2015,
Recently I've needed a hard copy portfolio a little more than I have done in the past perhaps and was wondering what everyone felt the best way of preparing it would be?

I have a black, A3 folder with wallets and so on but what is the best way of preparing work as, for the majority, I don't yet have copies of the final, printed result? Would it be worthwhile getting some work printed up properly on A3 to place in there? Or am I just as well printing out an inkjet printer and sticking it onto A3 paper?

Augustper
12-16-2015,
I print a lot of my own work but if you are going to do this make sure that you are able to print to a high standard because nothing looks worse than poorly presented work, "If you can't make the effort with your own work, what are you going to do with mine, etc".

Also, I like to present my work so the client can take it out, look through it, lay it all out side by side, basically see it how they want to see it. I wouldn't use a portfolio that I couldn't take the pages out of, it's too restrictive.

AustinBliva
12-18-2015,
I always think that if possible, try and create a multimedia portfolio. For example, I have now seen many designers using modern technology and create mini flash movies of their portfolio. However, I don't think it will ever replace the good old hard copy.

I personally created an online portfolio which I direct people too.

autohitwuy
12-18-2015,
Loose leaf, high quality printouts are fine.
As I've said before on here, you can print them out when they get grubby/dog eared and the client can pick them up and you can arrange them on the desk.
Regular 'art' folios are too regimented and they are heavy and expensive.
Get a nice A4 or A3 polypropylene envelope/folder from WH Smiths. I've got a dozen of them with different categories of work that I can tailor to client presentations etc.

AustinWaf
12-19-2015,
Thanks for the replies - in terms of getting a high enough quality printout, do people think of it as perhaps being advisable to get pieces printed professionally, perhaps in digital format for a low cost, as opposed to using your run of the mill, inkjet printer?