PDA

View Full Version : pci simple communications controller

Frenz
09-23-2013,
I suddenly get messages telling me on start up that new hard ware has been found. I am then told to install drivers for it. In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to this PCI device. Can I simply disable this? I can't even find out what this is. Thanks

Frenz
09-29-2013,
I actually deleted the offending program from device manager but I still keep getting the message. My computer remains blocked until I click 'go away' three times at different places.

Ivy74
10-05-2013,
It's normally a dial-up modem. If there's a dial-up port integrated on the system mainboard but it has not been being used, it might just have become enabled somehow in the BIOS. If this is the case, and you do not use dial-up, you could go into the BIOS setup screen (there's usually directions on screen at boot up), and disable the on-board modem. The OS will then no longer find the hardware. Disabling the device in Device Manager is an alternative.

One reason for new hardware suddenly being found is if the CMOS backup battery has gone flat and the BIOS settings have been lost and reverted to default. If you have noticed any other hints such as the clock being wrong, it might be a good idea to replace the backup battery. Usually it is a lithium button cell (commonly CR20320 located in a holder on the mainboard.

Ivy74
10-11-2013,
What is the make and model of the computer? In Device Manager, Right Click the device with the yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

Ivy74
10-17-2013,
I could not find anything on that Hardware ID, sorry. What is the make and model of the computer?