PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Boot Failure/recovery Failure

Albertojazz
10-25-2013,
My mom's PC didnt want to start up earlier today, so i looked up what may have caused it, and i came across a page that said that a boot failure along with beeping (which it was doing) could be the RAM, and just re-set it, so i did and it booted fine, it got to the desktop and shutdown and said the /system32/config file was missing or corrupt, i attempted to do a standard PC recovery and i got:

\minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error Code 18

Im looking around online now on what to do, my mom really doesnt want to have to format her entire PC, so if there is a way to fix this without having to do so, would be great...if its the only option, ill do the format.

Doudou54
10-31-2013,
Try booting from your XP CD into the recovery console and run the system file checker (sfc /scannow).

Doudou54
11-06-2013,
This is a device driver error - Depending on the type of recovery that you did, there may be a new device attached to the computer that isn't being recognized. Try disconnecting all external devices and try the recovery again.

Doudou54
11-12-2013,
Presuming that the SMART test was fine, try this free memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/

Follow the directions exactly and let the test run for at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better). Any errors mean that there's a problem with the memory (usually with the RAM itself).