PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Cursor XP Pro Logon

dekock
11-26-2013,
This seems to be the place to come to for answers. I have found several close but not quite what I need please.

1. During daylight savings time change, was uninstalling 2 programs, both security related. One never found any malware, so decided to eliminate. The other was my Security Suite that needed updating, but had to be uninstalled via their program (KavRemover)

2. On reboot, the Welcome Screen appears with my User Icon, but the mouse cursor is frozen in place and won't move to Password Box.

3. The TAB butoon also will not move cursor.

4. The CTRL - ALT - DELETE combination of buttons does nothing.

5. Under all SAFE MODE attempts, the Administror Icon and my User Icon appear at the Welcome Screen, but the cursor still will not move.

6. I can read the hard drive when connected to another XP OS System, transfer and see all files and folders, I just can't boot into that drive.

7. All my purchased licensed software is on that particular drive, and the licenses are keyed specifically to that drive and WIndows XP installation serial numbers. I desperately need to again access and be able to boot that drive again.

8. Have searched thru the Windows files, the System 32 files, and have found one called 'LastGood.TMP' but it is zero length. I also have looked on my other 3 XP OS Systems and not found that same file.

9. Is there a file I can copy from one of my other XP Systems into that drive? Is there a file I can open and Edit on that system so that I can boot? I have 27 years of data and research on that drive also, though I have backed up the majority of it over the last 2 weeks.

10. So, I am looking for the best, least possible chance of damaging that drive so that I can again use, or access.

11. The hardware system that drive was in is currently still in use via swapping out hardrives. So I know it is not hardware related.

I appreciate any and all anwsers that will get that drive bootable again with the least risk of damaging files and programs.

12. Have tried to Contact Microsoft several times, to ask for help. Not a chance. They have to know a file that can be edited, removed or replaced that would allow me once again to boot into that drive. C'est la vie. My first program was written with a chisel and stone tablet :)

donatello
12-02-2013,
Hello, and Welcome

If you have another XP computer use the guide here to create a ERD commander disk and do a partial System Restore if you had System Restore Enabled. If you do not have a XP computer download and burn PartedMagic here. Follow the instructions in this post. Look for a Restore Point date before the problem.

If you have Restore Points you may be able to get the computer to at least boot.

donatello
12-08-2013,
i have used this method with no issues numerous times to load all necessary drivers and files , although i now use win7 on laptop and 2 Pcs and Internet Main Pc still runs XP Pro.

Try a Repair from XP Disc as follows - http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-windows-xp-2000-if-you-are-unable-to-boot-into-windows.8356/

Been awhile but another Method i used was a full install but at certain point you cancel the install and that worked also - but i would have to find my notes on Xp Machine.