PDA

View Full Version : Did Flipboard leak their own app?

AlfuaKn
01-05-2016,
The Galaxy S III announcement breezed over a nugget of info that excited many, despite the completely lacklustre presentation - that Flipboard would be coming to Android as an S III exclusive (http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/2996872/flipboard-android-galaxy-s-iii). Mere days later, the apk leaked out via the xda-developers forums (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=25866075#post25866075), making it available to all Android users.
As an avid fan of Flipboard on my iPad, I jumped at the chance to get it on my Galaxy Note. It ran smoothly and beautifully, despite it being a not-even-commercially-available-yet product.
Imagine my surprise when I loaded up Flipboard today to find that there was an in-app, OTA update ready to go. Wait, what? For the app that's exclusive to the phone that isn't out yet? I curiously followed the prompts, and was presented with a changelog that explained that the update - "Fixes crashes on startup on older versions of Android" (Note: this is probably not the exact text as I am going from memory - I cannot seem to access that changelog now that the update is complete).
So not only is there an update system already in place, but the updates are focussed on compatibility with devices Flipboard isn't supposed to be available on yet. Interesting.
So maybe Flipboard has its own internal testing going on on a variety of devices. You'd think they'd notice the extra load on the servers with this update, but whatever.
But consider this - the original xda poster (who is notably very new to those forums), after making this apk available, was immediately asked of other members whether he could also obtain other S III exclusive software, such as 'S Voice'. He replied with -

About the S Voice, I no longer have the phone with me. But I'll try my best to get it again and extract everything you guys have asked for. Stay tuned.
So he has access to Flipboard, and makes it available, but can't get access to the other S III software? Also interesting. The poster went on to offer Flipboard-related support to fellow forumgoers; such as how to create a Flipboard account, and how to get the widgets working.
To me, this all looks like Flipboard have pushed out their own app ahead of schedule for enthusiasts, and perhaps to get some free testing and feedback. So what do you think, is it a plausible theory? The evidence is of course all completely circumstantial, but if it is true, how do you feel about it? I imagine most tech enthusiasts are more sympathetic to the developers of Flipboard than they are to Samsung, but that said Flipboard is probably receiving money from Samsung to have them as an exclusive selling-point for the device.

Oh by the way, I'm new to the forums. Hi there!

AliceGoata
01-07-2016,
It is possible. A 6 month exclusive app hits the web even before s3 is released and works well on all android devices. Sounds fishy.
p.s. welcome to the forums

Alisehit
01-07-2016,
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be able to update for me. It says “Unable to parse package”. Any chance you could hit me up with an updated apk? Sensation XE running ICS 4.0.3

AlinaAncen
01-08-2016,
Thanks for the screenshot. Interesting about the ‘unable to parse’ error, as I said it updated fine for me.
Here’s (https://www.dropbox.com/s/67jg0wvoy1j7tik/Flipboard_1.8.4.apk) a link to the 1.8.4 version.

alkoDostnak
01-09-2016,
Just because the GS3 isn’t out yet doesn’t mean the developers shouldn’t be working on their app.
At least they’re prepared for when the GS3 does launch.