PDA

View Full Version : help with windows defender ?

ChrisCosgrove
01-13-2014,
Hello to Everyone. My windows Defender is turned off on laptop. AndI have followied the instructions several times to turn it back on, never worked. Does anybody know how to turn on?

kjaved8
01-19-2014,
I recommend you to not use this "antivirus" anyway. Windows Vista isn't safe at all, and with Windows Defender, not good at all. I recommend you to use this combination. Although your system spec would help (How many GB of RAM?, Processor? GPU?) All of the below are completely free.

Avast Free Antivirus -- Extremely trustworthy and free antivirus.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit -- It is an On-Demand scanner.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free edition. You'll not regret installing it.

Eset Online Scanner -- I personally use ESET Smart Security, so it's a little biased to recommend ESET Online Scanner, but it's an On-Demand scanner.

kjaved8
01-25-2014,
Windows Defender is an antimalware, not an antivirus in Windows operating systems prior to Windows 8.

kjaved8
01-31-2014,
Are you receiving an error message when you try to restart the Defender?

If you are, please post the exact message.

Please download and install to provide us with information about your computer. When FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste. This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to provide us with information about your computer. When FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste. This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download [url=http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe]MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan. Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.