PDA

View Full Version : Grey scale an image.

AlpariUK
04-07-2014,
Hello,

I would like to grey scale an jpg image and then save it in the exact same format and the exact same file size as the original image, is this possible ? if so how ? please help.

Thanks

alladir
04-11-2014,
Hi simian,

Have you ever used photobucket? There is a free version, however you must create a user name and a password.

I use Windows 7, what is your OS?

I found a picture and saved it as a jpeg. in My Pictures folder. Using photobucket, I uploaded the picture and saved it. The original color and size is just the same as I have on my computer. Here is the picture:

97268ab3-1437-4937-8c3b-2c41339c9cb0_zps

Using the photobucket edit feature and "saturation" I was able to move the bar to the left and now you'll see a "grey" version of the same pic.

a92d2f1e-ec1b-46b3-aadd-8bbc27c10ae8_zps

Once you have finished editing your original picture and it's grey, you can right click and "Save Image As" to wherever you keep your pictures on your computer.

Is this what you are looking for? If it is, check it out and post back if you would like any further details!

nandemoh

alkaroqi
04-15-2014,
simian ~ another approach. If you have Microsoft Word 2010, here is a tutorial (without the pictures) on how you can make your picture "grey."

Using Microsoft Word 2010 ~ Changing a colored picture to “grey.”

Open Word, save your document first.

Click Insert Tab < click Picture Icon < Select the picture you want to grey out.

Now right click on the picture, copy the picture and paste it below the colored one. (Doing this will allow you to see the color difference.)

To make the picture “grey” left click on the picture <click on Picture Tools (above tab Format) < click on Color < click on Saturation and the first option is grey. You will also see lots of other features that you can use!

Once you are done, right click on picture < save as picture as < name it < save type as “JPEG File Interchange Format.”

In your pictures folder you'll find your original picture in color and your altered picture in grey!

Hope this helps!

alibabaKSGer
04-19-2014,
I would use GIMP, it's a free equivalent of photoshop. You can greyscale an image with it in 3 or 4 clicks, you also get the tools to perform other editing and modification tasks should you wish to do some more advanced editing of an image in future. I'm not sure why "the exact same file size" is so important but i doubt the modified image would differ by more than 10% in it's file size. The "same format" and "same aspect ratio" are just matter of choosing your export format, you could also use a different format so that the greyscale image could be a smaller file than the original.