PDA

View Full Version : 5 ways to turn Chrome into a screamingly fast browser

AAcixrerevek
05-10-2015,
I use WOT personally. There isn't much point to them on Linux in my opinion though. Most web based attacks are going to be biased towards Windows vulnerabilities (they will be based towards the browser as well sure, but if they want access to your system it will be windows based).
The thing I use WOT for is to make see if a site is fishy as far as if I am purchasing something from them. But even then I don't use it much for that since I purchase mostly everything on Amazon anyway.

Use common sense when browsing the web, don't visit a weird looking sites, and don't click on adds. You'll be fine.

*EDIT
No harm in using them though.

AAoldSoupe
05-12-2015,
This Topic would have received far more exposure (& likely pages of responses) had it been created in the proper section of the forum, there's one for Web browsers, email & so on.

Browsers in itself aren't a Linux related Topic, unless of course the browser was designed only for Linux. Google Chrome is used on most all OS's, not just LInux.

Am requesting Topic to be moved to the proper section for the benefit of the entire community.

Cat

aaifqyxesc
05-13-2015,
All of the ways to speed it up seems fine, except for maybe giving it more RAM. That all depends on how much RAM you have and if you want to give it more. If you make it so most extensions don't run all the time, then the default RAM should be efficient. Again, if you have a substantial amount of RAM and you don't care that chrome can use half a gig, then why not.

I actually hate that Chrome always has the extensions running all the time, drives me nuts. I didn't know that you can change that, I need to do that when I get home...

AAcyOraduado
05-13-2015,
Disabling plugins in a browser is always a good idea, for those plugns you use then chrome's "click to play" and firefox's "ask to activate" option should be used for these plugins. Disabling unused plugins and making others manually launched will help with security against exploits as well. I remember the first time I learnt to do that in chrome, I had a really slow mobile broaband connection at the time, page loading times went from 3 minutes to 20 seconds, all because un-necessary flash stuff was no longer slowing my connection and computer. In chrome plugins used to be literally "click to play", now you have to right click and select the "run plugin" option that appears on the little list, but it's still a good way to make browsing quicker and more efficient (if you use any kind of "pay per megabyte" connection it'll be cheaper too).

Just to mention shouldn't this thread be under the browsers in general section rather than specific to one operating system?