PDA

View Full Version : can't get Outlook 2010 to load

ajazqoqnvl
05-12-2015,
I inherited my mother's laptop and was happy to see that Office 2010 was loaded onto it. However I have been unable to get Outlook to load and was hoping to find some advice here. It's a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. Here is what happens when I start Outlook.

First a window with this message appears: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. When I click OK, another window called Exchange opens with just two fields. 1) Microsoft Exchange Server which has att.net in there. that was my mother's ISP. So I put comcast.net in there as that is my ISP. 2) mailbox which had mom's name in it so I put my name in there. I clicked “check name” and another window opens that says this: The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. I click OK to this and one more window says this: Cannot open your default email folders. the file "path name with .ost at the end" is listed and then it says "is not an Outlook data file".

I cannot figure out how to get Outlook to open so that I can change any settings. any ideas on how to get it to load?

thanks in advance for any help.

ajcdxgfsic
05-12-2015,
Does your Mom have a new computer herself that she is running Outlook on? If she does you might not be able to get that Outlook to work for you with your email address. Outlook is funny in that it usually just works with the original registered email address. Does the Power Point, Excel and Word 2010 work for you? Is it just the Outlook part that you are having problems with?

AiqNemn
05-13-2015,
No, she doesn't have a new computer. I only know that Word works, haven't used any other Office applications. It is just Outlook. And I don't have the original purchase to get the license number if I wanted to uninstall/reinstall. Unless it's on the machine somewhere? hmmm, do you think that's an option?

otherwise, I do have another license on two of my other machines that I could install but I was hoping to avoid that route.

Thanks for the help!!

AiqNemn
05-13-2015,
The reason why I posted my suggestions above is because I use Office 2010 and I use Outlook on my main computer, but it is registered to my main computer and I can not get the Outlook program to work on any other computer. The Word and Excel and OneNote and Power Point I have been able to install on my Daughter's computer, but not the Outlook.

AizenSousuke
05-14-2015,
Oh yeah, one more thing. I am the original owner of my Office 2010 package and I own the physical DVD and registration code and I still can not get Outlook loaded into any other computer, not even my laptop. I think that it is a Microsoft thing with the server that services the Outlook program. According to my computer, the POP address for my email account is in Redmond Wa., even though I live in New Mexico

aibikkagcq
05-15-2015,
That is strange because I too use Outlook on two different machines, same license, and it works on both machines?? so that's why I thought I could uninstall and reinstall with my other license. or maybe I won't worry about it. anyhow, thanks for your replies.