PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newbie

BeLikeWater
02-11-2013,
Learning about computers (taking class) and I was exploring my laptop running Windows 8.1 using the System Information window. Looking in Software Environment at Services, I noticed a Kernal driver with a few of "unknowns" and "Not Availables." Google search told me LSM means Linux Security Module. I use Avast virus protection. Is this part of that or is this part of Windows/Microsoft? Or is it something else since one of the articles I skimmed through mentioned the NSA?

Thanks for any info!

Tami

bludshot
02-19-2013,
In your particular case, LSM = Local Session Manager Service

This executable is authored by, and is an integral part of, the Microsoft Windows system.

bludshot
02-27-2013,
If you have doubts regarding the origin of a program, you can always check if it has a digital signature:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/519715/instructional-video-checking-the-digital-signature-of-windows-executables/

Buddyme2
03-07-2013,
You have to be careful when conducting Google searches on the Internet as there is a lot of misinformation out there. When performing search queries, always check multiple sources to confirm the information provided is consistent and essentially the same.