PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Storage options

AlfredPax
05-14-2015,
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a solid cloud storage option and i'm stuck. I have been using dropbox for years to back-up and sync all of my important files (mainly college stuff) across all my devices. Two years ago I got about 20gigs for free through this Space Race thing, but in two weeks that extra space will be taken away from me, which means I will have to upgrade to a paid storage service. Which is fine by the way, I just want to subscribe to the best/most appropriate one for me.
I have narrowed it down to iCloud Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive.
Dropbox is a good option because I have already been using it for years. 1TB will cost €7,- a month. iCloud is an option because I am fully integrated into the Apple ecosystem (MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad). OneDrive is a nice option because it includes a license for Office 365, which is nice, because I use Word, Powerpoint, and Excel regularly (i currently have Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac). This will cost €7,- a month for 1TB and a Office 365 Home license for one user. For 10,- a month i can get a license for five users.
Some important considerations
- I use only apple devices (and will keep using those). I use iCloud to sync my calendar and contacts
- I have been using dropbox for years and I like it.
- I use Microsoft office regularly (including OneNote).
What would you suggest? Which service is most reliable? what would be the best 'bet' for the future?
Thanks!

AlfredoSr
05-14-2015,
I would also finally like to get organized, and back up all of my photos in the cloud (so I don’t need to store all of them on my laptop anymore)

Alfredpn
05-15-2015,
I’d say stick with Dropbox or go with OneDrive. iCloud is very limited in what you can do with it imo. The fact you use OneNote points me towards suggesting OneDrive though. You’ll also get more free storage than Dropbox with OneDrive and better integration with Office. There’s also an extra bit of free storage for enabling photo backup.

AlfredSa
05-18-2015,
I went through the exact same process earlier this year, and again before that.
For me, I started with Dropbox, switched to OneDrive for about a year, have tried several other very good services, and am now back where I started (http://mariusmasalar.me/back-to-dropbox/).
My recommendation to you is this: figure out what exactly you want from your cloud storage. You use only Apple devices, so have you tried replacing Office with iWork? Or Google Docs/Sheets/etc. if you’re online?
Then you can forget about the fluff and focus on the cloud storage on its own, see which one works best for your needs. At this point I don’t think either OneDrive or Dropbox are going anywhere in the foreseeable future, so I would worry more about quality of service than future-proofing when considering these particular options.
The other trap I fell into is focusing too much on freebies. For me, cloud storage is an integral part of my business, so I really don’t care how much they give me for free because I’ll be paying for their best service anyway—that shifts the conversation from "look, you get all these freebies if you’ll just use our service!" to "Our service is the most reliable, quick, and ubiquitous. And it will cost you this much." I much prefer the latter.

Alfredpt
05-18-2015,
Thanks both :) Marius, your blogpost is a great read.
I don’t mind spending money on cloud storage, I have been considering it for a while now. I just want the best option. I’m inclined to stick with dropbox because everybody around me uses it, so it works great for sharing.
But then again, I probably want to keep using MS Office, and since the new version for mac is coming out soon, I might as well sign up for office 365 and get 1TB of cloud storage at the same time.

AlfredRof
05-19-2015,
I use OneDrive and I just love it, especially Office online. I have made reports of things which everyone can access and edit and work perfectly with traditional Office as well as Office online and apps. Now Office is available on iPad and iPhone also so another advantage.
Feature vise both should be equally good: No file size or format limits, auto backups, version histories, recycle bin, file and folder sharing, view-only access sharing, everywhere all-devices-supported access etc etc. MS Office is the only real difference I guess and makes quite a lot of difference.