PDA

View Full Version : encryption with 1024 or 2048 bit/letters?

AlkdosPum
05-24-2015,
hello all o/

i wonder if there is a method or a program to encrypt files/folders/drives, with an own significant chain of letters/combinations? the meaning of this would be: one cannot lose ones private key.
if one has not brought the usb-stick with the key: simply create a new one manually, by copy pasting ones rememberable words/senteces/combinations into a file, like for example my password is:
>> i can remember this password and ill copy paste it to reach 1048 letters123

icanrememberthispasswordandillcopypasteittoreach10 24letters123

this is 62 letters (without spaces). now i copypaste it into a "keyfile" for example "privatekey.ppk" and i can access my public-keyed server with that private key-file:

PuTTY-User-Key-File-2: ssh-rsa
Encryption: none
Comment: rsa-key-20090101
Private-Lines: 17
icanrememberthispasswordandillco
---- END SSH2 PRIVATE KEY ----

this is only an example of how it could work. i think the public-key, or the keypair, must be created in ahead, matching ones personal letterchain/kombination.

i would be glad to hear from someone soon, and if im lucky with your method and you dont mind mailing me your postal adress, i will send you an originally packed board of swiss chocolate.

greetings,
sheevanian

alkoDost
05-25-2015,
Are you describng your own idea for an encryption system? or asking if the thing you describe already exists? or asking how to do the thing you describe? Is there a paticuar context in which you need encryption, securing your computer, or a particular file, or a particular USB memory stick?

As far as I know 1024 bit encryption is usually more than necessary, it takes the current best brute-forcing algorithms running on a supercomputer a few milion years to crack a 256 bit key, 512 takes a few million years squared (so around a trillion years), 1024 will take even longer.

alkoDostnak
05-28-2015,
thank you for you answer, rp88

what i am looking for is an encryption program (i dont mind the bit-length much, but the more secure, the better...^^). i want to know, if theres any encryption-prog, that allows me to create a key from plain text, so the key to decrypt the files, is an easy to remember chain of chars.

that key for decryption, i want to enter manually, *either* into a password-field, or into a file like, *for example* private.ppk.
so i dont need to carry the key with me all the time.

i dont want to train and remember the automatically created private key^^. i want the key-chain in my .ppk-file, replaced by an easy to remember combination of characters. i dont care how long, as long as the files are encrypted. (the character-combination for the private key-chain is also no 2048 bits long, but i wouldnt mind, if i could choose that combination myself.) usual password-protection is not enough. if ones common with pcs, one can read out password-protected files, even without having the password.

i found on the net: advanced enryption package
which works fine for me. its diamond2 encryption supports long passwords.
but still i cannot set my "easy-to-remember-char-combination", im always talking about.

in putty key-generator, both keys, private and public, are created by mouse-movements.

i want my public key created, from an existing text.
so that existig text-file, becomes my private-key (private.ppk).
this could be my fourite joke in texform, for example.
so if needed, i can create a new prive key-file to decrypt my encrypted.

i hope this helps anyone, to understand my issue.
thank you

alladir
05-29-2015,
Actually, you have 2 major encryption algorithm classes: symmetric and asymmetric.
Symmetric uses the same key for encryption and decryption. A well known symmetric crypto algorithm is AES. AES uses 128, 192 or 256 bit keys.
Asymmetric uses a different key for encryption and decryption (public key and private key). A well known asymmetric crypto algorithm is RSA. RSA can use many bit length keys, but 1024 is/was considered a minimum for good confidentiality. A 256 bit key for RSA is easy to crack (prime factorization).

Rule of thumb: short bit key lengths (like 256) are for symmetric, longer bit key lengths (like 1024) are for asymmetric.

allahihamn
05-30-2015,
thank you for your answer, bc Advisor,

the asymetric encryption is what i want. i use winscp to login on a remote systems root. i use puttygen generated keys. the public (its char-chain, i've pasted into "authorized_keys" on the open-sshd-server. with my private-key i connect and log in to the public-key. the keys consist of usual characters.

now, i have a sentence in mind, which i want to use as key for logging in. let this be my favourite joke for example.
from that, i want to create a public key that accords to "my favourite joke", to my private key "easy-to-remember-sentence-in-mind", in this example.

its not an issue of encrytion bits, if 1048 or 2048 or more or less. its more an issue of keypair-generating. the encryption software (or key-generating software), must enble keypair-generating that way.

still im gratefull for any answer, and the offer about that block of chocolate is still up^^
thank you