PDA

View Full Version : Exchange sending size exceeded message when size was not exceeded

Andrewtymn
05-28-2015,
I have a user trying to send an email with about 5 MB worth of attachments. They get the error below:

#550 5.3.4 ROUTING.SizeLimit; message size exceeds fixed maximum size for route ##

The size limit for our users is 30 MB, and to be on the safe side after the first time they got this message, I hade sure the account was set to 30 MB as well. The message bounced with the same error message, and I know that the person receiving it can accept a message that large because they were able to get the exact same attachments from a yahoo account. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that we are using exchange server 2007 on server 2008 with outlook 2010.

Andrewpam
05-28-2015,
The above error message should have indicated which Exchange server generated that message. You may want to go into the EMC on that particular server and doublecheck to make sure the Send Connector limit is set to 30 MB. (EMC>Organization Configuration>Hub Transport, Send Connectors tab)

Andrewyl
05-29-2015,
The message was sent from our server (specifically the mailbox server out of a setup where we have that, an edge and a transport server in play), and I checked both the mailbox limit and the group to check send connector. they are both set to 30 MB. I'm at a loss. The message was sent a second time with the same results. Any ideas?

AndyEagele
06-01-2015,
A few other things to check are possible limits on attachment sizes in the Outlook clients, and possible limits on any security or distribution groups the user may belong to.
Fixing the Outlook issue involves editing a registry key on the client. http://www.msoutlook.info/question/increase-maximum-attachment-size-limit

For other possible user or group limits, this Technet article may help. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345(EXCHG.80).aspx

AndroidBiab
06-01-2015,
According to the article, outlook 2010 should defer to the exchange server settings. I've checked every setting I can find, and they all look to be set to the 30 MB limit. Even if there was one setting somewhere set to the default 10 MB, the attachment wasn't that large. I'm trying to find some reason that an email would generate an error saying it was too large when it wasn't.

andrzej91
06-02-2015,
Is the user attaching the jpegs as separate files, or are they copying and pasting them into the email?

If all else fails, zip the files and attached the folder with the compressed jpeg files to the email.