PDA

View Full Version : Just a few small issues

AlbertBig
06-01-2015,
I have been using Ubuntu on my laptop for a few months and I decided to take the leap and install it on my desktop. I only have two issues. First of all my USB 3.0 ports do not do anything. The computer does not see them at all. Secondly the animations are sometimes laggy when minimizing and maximizing. Does anybody have any solutions to these problems?

Albertkt
06-03-2015,
I was hoping somebody would tell me how to compile a list with terminal. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

AMD FX 8320 8-core
XFX R9 290
64 bit
8 gigs of ram
14.04 LTS

AlbertMr
06-05-2015,
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Mobo: Gigabyte model: 990FXA-UD3
Bios: American Megatrends version: F2 date: 07/15/2013
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) clocked at 2300.00 MHz
Graphics Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290]
X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 3000.6GB (31.1% used)
Info: Processes: 285 Uptime: 1:10 Memory: 2785.9/7949.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

alcgzfdwji
06-06-2015,
+1 on using inxi for what you want. It is a full featured system information script that will detect information about hardware specifications, including but not limited to vendor details, CPU info, graphic and sound cards.

Here's a cheat sheet for its most common use:

System information

inxi -b will output basic system information
inxi -F will output full system information

Hard drive details

inxi -D will output information on your hard drives, like make, model and size

Hard drive partitions

inxi -p will output information about all mounted partitions, mount points and space usage

Networking

inxi -n and inxi -ni will output information about the details of the network interfaces and configuration. When the i option is used with n, inxi will output IP address details (for both WAN and LAN).

Hardware

inxi -AG and inxi -h the A and G options output information about the audio and graphics hardware respectively. You usually want to use them together. The h option outputs you the full list of options you can use to get even more information about your hardware.

Albertst
06-06-2015,
You are using the open source radeon drivers for your video card. The proprietary drivers may have better performance

To install the proprietary drivers, go to Unity Dash -> Search for "Additional Drivers" and open the app.

The app should offer you video drivers to install, choose the one that says "recommended"

If you don't see any video drivers offered, make sure you are connected to the internet.