3.5" audio splitter help

Hey guys,
    I wonder if someone can advise me on this. I'm trying to pipe both the two 3.5" outputs on my desktop and the one 3.5" headphone output on my laptop into the Line In on a JBL speaker dock, and I end up with horrible, unusable static.
    Is there any way around this? Have I just bought sub-par cables and splitters or am I attempting something that's simply not possible?
    The setup is as follows:

• Two 3.5" sockets from my desktop's motherboard connected to
    • One Y-splitter with it's 3.5" output connected to
    • One side of another Y-splitter with
    • One 3.5 output cable coming from my laptop to the other side then finally
    • The output of that second splitter into the Line-In on the dock

Any takers?

Eternally grateful!
    Mark

OK, so from the sound of it, the speaker itself only has one input. What happens in the regular use case of one output to one input is a simple completed electrical circuit. This allows the electrical pulses (literally high and low voltage) to properly travel down the wire to the speaker and then be interpreted by the speaker in order to output the proper sound. What your setup is doing is complicating the circuit, which is garbling the audio signal (the electrical high and low voltages we were talking about). So while each individual signal coming out is fine, the combined signal is all noise coming in. That’s why splitters are only used to separate a outgoing signal, not bring them together, like what you’re trying to do.

Your solution is to get an audio switcher, which uses patch cables instead of splitters and circuitry that physically breaks the other circuits that you don’t want to listen to. Either of these devices will work for you.

I have sort of the same problem. I have a tablet that I use for music, my laptop has alerts that I NEED to be aware of. I can’t just crank the speakers on either (office environment).
    I ran a patch cable from my tablet into my laptops audio in (mic/line in), and then the headphone jack, to well, my headphones. The laptop "mixes" the audio together so I can have my music, as well as my alerts.

If you don’t mind me asking, what purpose is there to having two outputs going into a single speaker from the same device?? I would think you can just switch the output to "stereo" and not "surround" piping all sound to a single output.