Why do so many care so deeply about the NSA?

Nearly every day now a new article comes out from any number of news sources (including The Verge) regarding the NSA and how the American Government (not to mention other governments world round) is tracking your personal data, contacts, information and more.

Honestly I'd like to know exactly why so many people are infuriated about this. The NSA obviously has been setup to monitor and track terrorist activities online with the aim to keep us safe.

It seems in my opinion that the only reason this topic has been kept alive for the past months is due to the shear amount of public anger over privacy - hence why media outlets keep reporting on it.

Luckily, this post won’t create too much negativity towards you because no one really cares about your opinion or anyone else’s opinion, but you are missing out on the age old argument of security vs privacy/liberty. This has been a major debate since 9/11. I won’t even get into it, because you are obviously young, naive, apathetic, or a less flattering option. So I’ll just leave you with that.

Because “absolute power corrupts absolutely”. When any entity wields so much power, it will ALWAYS be used for bad things, eventually. And the way they sell it to you is by claiming it will keep you “safe”, without ever explaining exactly how it will do so or providing proof that it actually did. The buzzword of the past decade is “terrorism”, but in previous decades it was “communism”, etc…