February 2016 hasn't been a good month for my computing devices. First the harddrive on one of my laptops dies, and now my decade old PC has finally given up the ghost. I built this system from scratch and replaced components over the years as they failed. A few years back, I actually replaced the motherboard when the capacitors on it blew up. Seems like there were a period of time where a major capacitor supplier put out a huge batch of defective units that a lot of manufacturers used and my mobo was one of them. I'm not even sure what's wrong with my PC. When I power on, the fans and harddrive go on, but there are no beeps and I don't see any POST activity on the monitor. I've decided it's not worth trying to figure out what's wrong and just replace it. It was getting very long in the tooth.

Suggestions for DIY Desktop PC

I've also decided to build another machine and I can reuse the harddrives (if they're ok), the DVD drive, But it's been so long since I built this one, the components have all modernized, so I don't have a good idea what to look for.

• General web browsing, surfing, social media and video watching. My old system was choking on 1080p video.

• I don't need the latest and greatest CPU. My old CPU was an AMD. I'm looking at maybe an Intel i5 or an AMD A10(?) I'm not sure how they compare. Is it worth it to get a Skylake I5 or save some money and go with Haswell? I've even seen some people saying that a newer version Pentium might suffice.

content from reference site

• I'd also like to swap out the case so I can get USB-3 ports and I want a simpler design. The old one has a window and lights (ah, the folly of youth). I'd like a mid-tower case. I don't need 10 drive bays, but ease of accessibility is always preferable.