Addieanype
    Could? I guess that is always possible yet unlikely in the near future. Nintendo is changing but it doesn’t sees itself as a service provider but rather as a toy maker. Considering they have a lot of cash to burn, I think it is more likely it will try its luck again with yet another console.

agrohimhhg

Nintendo software only.

Sure they could. It’s pretty crazy that they still haven’t gotten basic things like online down yet.
    They need to start making games for mobile and PC. The concept of a dedicated piece of hardware that only plays certain games is so ridiculously outdated. I am not going to buy another Nintendo console. I already bought a Wii U and I don’t even touch it anymore.
    Nintendo needs to realize that their expertise is IPs and games, not hardware. Why should I buy a dedicated portable system that is complete crap in every way compared to an iPhone or android? Bad screen quality, bad specs, bad everything. They should start developing mobile games and start building controller case things for iPhones to give them physical buttons.

Phone software changes too quickly, as does hardware. Nintendo can’t make the experiences it creates with hardware that changes so much and so quickly. Same could be said about PC hardware, to an extent, but piracy is the biggest threat there.
    The only thing I would see Nintendo doing is becoming a first party Playstation studio, or at best, a console only software maker(Xbox and PS). Nintendo takes it’s sweet time pumping out software and they need a stable platform to do so.
    I personally believe that their best bet would be partner with Playstation, let them mostly create the hardware and operating system, Nintendo can focus on games on said hardware, they would make out like a bandit.

That’s what I think would happen. They’d go exclusive to one platform, although I’m not so sure it’d be PlayStation. Perhaps the bridges burned in the 90s would still make it hard. Besides – if they decided to go Microsoft instead their hardware team could actually still continue making handhelds. After all Sony already has handheld gaming covered, Microsoft still hasn’t done it.

Nintendo is the black sheep of the videogame world as it is very much Japanese in the way it makes games yet because of its history, longevity and the fact that it is the most storied and has the most famous IPs, it caters to a larger crowd. What I mean is that I feel like in today’s world, without its legacy, Nintendo would be very niche.
    That said, I don’t feel (and want) Nintendo to stop making consoles because they are enablers to its wacky, incredible ideas. The Wii and DS are some of the best fun I had. The Wii U was maybe too weird and yet, they released games like Splatoon which made me consider buying it very much.
    The NX in my mind only needs to be more traditional to attract traditional videogame makers. But wacky enough so that Nintendo can do its thing. And they’ll be fine (I hope).

Nintendo partnering with Microsoft or Sony for hardware is, IMO, next to impossible. I also believe that they are in a very different position than Sega was back then: Nintendo might not be doing great but they are far from struggling. They are a revered company with a very special status in the industry. At worst I could see them leaving the home console and focus on publishing and portable console (the DS line is still incredibly successful).

Well supposedly it will at least be a match for the PS4 and Xbox One – enabling ports to come over with less work. So that should help a bit with attracting the CoD and Madden crowd (as long as EA has gotten over the Origin snub). They’ve also shown growth in internal development for the ‘traditional’ games too.
    That said. If NX doesn’t do much better than the Wii U I could see them bowing out of home hardware. No use sinking money into something that you can’t get to go anywhere – it happened to Sega and I still don’t think they actually recovered even as a game studio. I could see them continuing with portable hardware – which makes a Microsoft team-up interesting, because they could an Xbox DS or something like that.