"Men call themselves gamers, but just as many women play games"

I found Kwame Opam's take on the Pew Research Center's study on gaming and "gamers" fairly interesting, but I feel that both the source survey and the writer's take seems to miss the mark when it comes to the culture of "gaming."
    Kwame's article left out an important bit of information with this bit of overview:
    According to the survey, gaming is a pastime that crosses genders, with 50 percent of men and 48 percent of women saying they played video games on a console, PC, or handheld device.
    Here's what Pew had to say - notice the difference:
    "About half of American adults (49%) "ever play video games on a computer, TV, game console, or portable device like a cellphone," and 10% consider themselves to be "gamers."

AlexEPt
    Now, I love gaming as much as the next person, and I fully understand that people of all ages and of all gender identities also love to play video games, but I believe both Kwame and Pew seem to be missing an important breakdown concerning these self identified gamers and gaming demographics; which devices are they using, how often and the length they use them?
    Much like the conversation of the casual gamer vs. hardcore gamer, I think there's a completely different set of demographics involved, and unfortunately the Pew Research Center apparently didn't want to go into further depth, to determine notable demographic differences.

Alexaskak
    For example, my father (aged 65), will occasionally play solitaire on his phone when on an airplane. According to the Pew Research Center, that makes him a "gamer." My mother, also 65, will actually go to Gamestop on a release day, and buy herself the latest Professor Layton for her DS, which she religiously plays for an hour each night. But she certainly wouldn't self identify as a "gamer." In my mind, there's a big difference between the two, likely resulting in a difference of several hundred hours a year in game playing.
    And then there's me, who has an XBone, Wii, Wii U, PS3, all the mobile devices, and a custom built PC. Whenever socially acceptable, I'll lock myself in a room with a game like Fallout 4, regularly forget to eat meals, and contemplate wearing an adult diaper, just so I don't have to break my gameplay - yet I don't think I'd self identify as a "gamer," since I hold down a relationship and a fulltime job. (although I see that as binge gaming on certain titles). During my work breaks, for years now, a co-worker and I compete on the Wii, for at least 30 minutes a day. I think most people would consider me a "gamer."