$600 for Oculus Rift = Massive Facepalm

I was really looking forward to purchasing an Oculus Rift this year. I have purchased a $4000 PC just so that I could play fully immersive VR games.
    But I have a really hard time seeing myself spend $600 for a plastic box with lenses and a small screen.
    I am now going to wait and see what the HTC Vive will be like before making any commitment.

You spent $4000 on a pc and you are scoffing at another $600?
    My PC that I built last year cost me $1600 with an XFX r9 290 and intel core i5 4670. I have more reason to scoff at that price than you considering its almost 50% the cost of my PC.
    That being said… yes, even factoring in the components of the rift, the cost is insane for a peripheral. Most wouldn’t even spend that much on one monitor.

Idk why there’s this rage for early adoption. It’s the first consumer product. They never are reasonable. R&D cost have to be padded to continue business. From my experience with the Rift at Connect this is pretty realistic. If they get the price of the touch correct as well then it could be viable. However thinking this was going to be anything below 499 this early is a pipe dream. Only htc and sony can take those type of hits.
    Finally this is something that provides more experience than games so the value of that would always put them at a higher price than consoles, and I’d actually argue VR film will initially sell VR quicker than games purely from a viability standpoint. This first round is getting the outsiders sold into the idea by those willing to bite the bullet. They won’t be disappointed. Pockets might sting for a while but as it evolves, truly satisfied.

That’s not an excuse for them not to be a business. Facebook bought them for the potential they see in VR and Oculus was the only party that was available for ownership that gave them a sustainable edge. On top of that Dev Kit 1 to how it is manufactured on release were only viable from Facebook’s cash. There’s still a lot of software both for devs and users that Oculus (and everyone else) to figure out from it being a trend. The burn rate they need for them to really get this to a sub 400 hardware could not happen without a partnership/ownership like Fb. I also think the gamer community is going to have a hard time with the next generation of games. These immersive games will either have to be more episodic (TWD) and/or higher in cost because the mechanics now have to take in more factors and have to keep you immersed for a period of time. That’s probably why the CEO has been stating we’re still years from it taking off in hardware. I get it the dev kit was at 350, but this is production. Devs make the ecosystem, someone eventually has to eat the cost. The brightside: in 3 years it should hit all the marks and everything will be peachy.

There is never an excuse to not be a business.
    However new technology often doesn’t try to do profit maximization on an untested market if they have money in the bank. People who tried it liked it… but they weren’t asked to pay $600 for the privilege.
    Second: Oculus also isn’t using an exclusive concept. VR is being launched by a couple companies now or in the near future. With no standard in place, being one of the most expensive is not good for long term viability.
    Third: None of the devkits cost anywhere near this much. Unless the leap in technology on CV1 is huge, people will not jump on board with this in droves

I think you’re missing the point. Oculus isn’t the one wanting to go for the mass market (at least not with their device yet). They’re letting Google, Samsung, Sony, HTC and Valve do that. They want to make sure the platform is viable before they do a massive push (remember only 3 years ago 3D was suppose to be the future). From the conference they were setting standards, experiment with media forms and building the software for this to happen.
    With all that being said, they tested the market and it’s viable. Still a small niche not to get excited for. They’ll continue to watch what the others are doing and help define these standards so when the market becomes accessible they’ll be ready. Finally on your last agreed, but again this is only a concept phase Oculus is only 4 years old. They owe nothing to them other than the dev kits they purchased. Experiential Entertainment is the next frontier. They’re still way too much time on the clock to start placing risks.
    Finally, there was a company about 10 years ago was late to a smartphone industry…. Experience will always trump expediency. That’s the other reason the fb money is for. To wait. It’s still in infancy. The R&D and dev helps them figure all the details out to get the right one out (remember it’s still attached to PC and tethered)