Ok, I'm a fan of the series, so I'm kinda biased, but come on. This game doesn't have more killing than say, any Uncharted or Gears of war or what have you. And besides, the whole point of building an army in the previous two games (Portable Ops and Peace Walker) and in this one, The Phantom Pain, is just that: it puts you in a position where you CAN kill an enemy, but it'd be your loss since you can't recruit them for your own army. So actually, the game makes you kill LESS, or not at all if possible.
    I don't know, it's just a thing that caught my eye in Plante's thoughts about the game.

Why so much focus on MGSV's killing?

Uncharted and GoW came out a number of years ago. We are in a different place now which is why it is being noted.

It means just what I said. The climate now is very different than two years ago, the world is a different place. Violence in general that people will have issues with regardless of the medium it is presented in. As video games become more and more mainstream this sort of stuff is inevitable and a good thing overall.

The world isn’t that much different today than it was two years ago. We’re still dealing with the same problems saying and doing the some things. Some people cry about fake violence while most people just ignore it if they don’t like it. And as far as games go people have been crying about violence since Doom.