baiduvideostreemscomBlign

How does PSN work?

Hey guys,
    after finishing (and loving every second of) Dark Souls 1 and finishing (and kind of liking every second of it) Dark Souls 2, I'm eyeing a PS4 to play Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.
    Well, that's before I saw that you can't play PS3 games on your PS4. Which I understand, because it's a different system architecture and all.
    But then why can it play games via Playstation network? Are those just a few select ports?
    Also, I read that you have to pay annually to actually play online? Is that just a weird joke or actually true? I can't imagine it being true, but perhaps consoles are getting away with stuff like that?

morgandz2
    There are some ports of PS3 games to PS4, either remakes or cross-buy deals.
    You have to pay to play online, but the blow is somewhat softened by a few ‘free’ games every month. XBL has been pay to play online since 360, PSN joined this gen.

Craigoxync
    PS+ ~$50/ year is now required to play MP online (Xbox Live did that for the entirety of the last generation, for the 360). Thankfully Sony sweetens the pot a little bit by giving you access to 2 free games per month, that you can keep and access as long as you remain subscribed to PS+. Sometimes the games are meh, other times the games are actually pretty great!
    Sony also has a streaming games section, where you can play certain games (the catalog is fairly small, but expanding). However, this requires an additional fee, but there are PS3 games that can be played this way. I don’t believe Demon Souls is one of them.

DavidDub
    It’s become the standard. You can "blame" Microsoft for that if you really want to. But there are servers required to host multiplayer content, plus the rest of the backend stuff. A lot of first party PS3 games came with dedicated servers, just to host the MP games, not sure if it’s the same today, but that costs a lot of money.
    While I hate the cost in theory. In reality PS+ has given me far more content than its $50 a year price tag (content I would have purchased anyways), so I have no problem paying for it. But I also play a lot of games, so it doesn’t bother me, but I can understand it being a problem/hindrance for those that don’t play often.
    FYI the streaming fee is a separate fee from the PS+ fee.

Susanmof
    It’s still a little strange though. I can buy Call of Duty: Whatever The Newest One Is Now on PS4 and then only be able to play the $60 game online after I’ve paid the $50 entrance fee for PSN, while on PC there is no fee to play online (besides whatever your internet cost is each month). It seems especially scammish if streaming has an additional fee.
    For the next console release the killer feature will probably be free online play.

Free online for Playstation and Xbox is dead. This is a pretty settled issue. In the entire previous generation you had to pay for XBL, while PSN was free. The 360 dominated the PS3 for most of the generation in terms of sales and third party software attach rates.
    They both make money from it now and it’s not new, people have been paying for XBL for nearly a decade now. It’s the established norm, right or not.
    I don’t consider the separate fee a scam for streaming games. The prices might require some adjusting, but I don’t think it should be free.