I just saw the article on that MSI gaming laptop then I thought, why is it that gaming laptops have to look so tacky?
    Background: I have a generic-looking Lenovo (IdeaPad?) G405 that I really like despite the meh specs.
    But why is it that "function over form" has to mean "no form at all"? You can easily take any generic laptop, make it thicker for the gaming specs, if you really ant lights, add an MBA style backlight to the keys, then add higher res screen, voila! a simple laptop that specs would qualify as gaming.
    But, really? Why do most gaming laptops look bad?

Why do gaming laptops have to look so bad?

The MSI looks like hot garbage because it offers a very specific gimmick; they put in a mechanical keyboard with actual switches as opposed to a chiclet, and an 18" screen. It’s not a normal gaming laptop, it’s basically a LAN box with inbuilt screen. The Razer Blade is a more conventional and attractive gaming laptop.

There’s a specific gaming aesthetic (big, sharp angles, dark colors with bright highlights, hyper-masculine) that a lot of gaming hardware aspires to. I’m not sure where it initially came from, but you see it in a lot of gaming hardware including keyboards, mice, speakers, headphones, desktop towers, laptops, etc.
    I know I have to specifically go out of my way to find more subtly designed hardware when I buy almost any gaming equipment.

Because in order to play high end games, they need high spec, high performance parts, in a much smaller than desktop package. If you want an ‘apple’ level of hardware and this high performance, it would cost a small fortune. Just look at the Razer Blade as an example of this. Gotta pay to play, parts cost money, sleek metal frames cost money, engineering to dissipate heat in a ‘sexy’ package cost money.