Assassin's Creed Unity

I'm so conflicted when I think about the latest game in the Assassin's Creed franchise, subtitled Unity. It's a great game, though I keep second-guessing whether this is my "bias", as I've generally loved every game in the franchise. I don't think this is the case. The single-player story is one of the most coherent in the entire series. Yes, it builds a relationship only to have the "disposable woman" disposed of, which I hate more because it's predictable, and less because of the Sarkeesian-style implications. Yes, it's obvious from the start who the final "boss fight" will be with, but I think it serves to cement the villian, and the road taken to get there is interesting.
    I'll put it simply, the characters are great, the story is coherent and follows logic (this is, sadly, something still missing from many video games), and the visuals.... It is, put simply, the best looking game I've played to date. Screenshots do not do it justice. The movement of the player, and the richness of the world are just fantastic. Crowds look and feel real. You don't get that creepy feeling you get when you see duplicated animations everywhere (as there was in the prior games). There are people waving flags, others engaging in minor fights, others just looking pissed, and still others that look like they were out for some milk and stumbled into the crowd. The overall effect is that it feels alive in a way that few games achieve.

That said, there are bugs...and not the sort of bugs that are funny and restart-at-the-last-checkpoint-and-all-is-well-style bugs, though there are plenty of those, but the oh-my-god-why-is-the-netcode-so-fucked-style bugs or the I-see-the-g-damnned-ledge-and-why-can't-I-jump-to-it-style bugs. Seriously Ubisoft, spend the next year making your game technically sound. I get that making an open-world game is beyond difficult, and that you're solving issues that many in the games industry don't bother even attempting. Pushing boundaries means that sometimes you slip up. That said, the traversal has been partially busted since ACIII, so you're losing my confidence as a consumer.

In the end, I'm really conflicted about Assassin's Creed Unity. It's beautiful, and has great characters and a fantastic single-player story. It also consistently frustrates me with it's traversal mechanics and netcode. In the end, I've not been recommending this game in it's current state. I will also be waiting next year until after the review embargos to determine whether I'll pick it up at release. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...you don't get fooled again.

ACII was great, and if we’re talking, "Which one was the biggest improvement from it’s predecessor?" I’d say II was the best. That said, Brotherhood was largely a rehash of II (in a good way), with some really great mechanics. I agree that Revelations was a miss (as was ACIII), but last year’s Black Flag was fantastic.
    If you’re looking to see if you’d be interested in a recent AC game, Black Flag is the one to dip your toes into. I think the first-person stuff was dull, but the mechanics were great (and those shanty’s still get stuck in my head from time to time).

It’s my 2nd least favorite. Of all the AC games that I’ve played I’d rank them: AC2>Brotherhood>>AC3>Unity>AC1.

The story is rather predictable.Young man loses parents, joins Assassin’s for revenge, hunts down grandmasters cronies, gets a chance to kill grandmaster but fails, kills grandmaster. Seriously though, I could be describing 3 different AC games.
    This game just feels unfinished. The parkour movements are really blocky, and I don’t feel like I’m in control of Arno. It feels far too aggressive snapping onto objects. I don’t mind 30 fps, but 25 feels absolutely horrible. Also this club competition stuff is nonsense, everythings locked behind a non-existent game component. I loved Brotherhood because of how connected you felt to the city, Rome looked beautiful once you renovated it and liberated it. I don’t feel connected to Paris in the same way.