This emphatically is not a thread for debating Gamergate. You can do that anywhere else on the internet. This is my attempt to figure out how much people have followed the event, what they think the important elements of it are, and why they think it started in the first place. So, say, things like:

• When was the first time you heard about Gamergate? What event(s) do you think started it?
    • What, as you understand it, are the goals of Gamergate?
    • Given that a lot of the focus has been on journalistic and game development ethics, are you aware of specific examples of (alleged) misconduct that Gamergate is fighting? (I'm talking really specific, like "Andrew Webster covers Minecraft, but he's secretly Notch from an alternate dimension." Not "The Verge and Mojang are in bed with each other.")
    • What are the important moments in Gamergate? (Again, specific -- like, "Leigh Alexander wrote her 'end of gamers' piece" or "Anita Sarkeesian filed a police report because of threats" or "Intel stopped advertising on Gamasutra.")

what do you think Gamergate is about?

You don't have to agree with the goals/events you're posting, or even think they're noteworthy problems. It's fine if you're not sure you know all that much about Gamergate. I'm really looking for relative outsiders or casual followers talking about what they think is going on, not just manifestos from people who are in the middle of things.
    Tone-wise, I'm trying to keep this from devolving into a firefight. Trolling, insults, and sweeping statements are not cool here. Mods will be watching. Source links for various articles/events are helpful, but 30-minute YouTube rants are not sources. Maybe most importantly, this isn't the place to post long dissections or rebuttals of people's statements, no matter how wrong you think they are. Think of this as a survey, not an opportunity to come out on top of something.
    In short, just the facts, as you see them. Sort of.

I think the biggest difference from the occupy movement is that "Gamergate" is pretty insignificant. And can we please stop calling things ___gate? It is insane to equate this "scandal" to what happened at the Watergate hotel.

Don’t blame us, Adam Baldwin started the whole hashtag (and Adam Baldwin coming out of nowhere to support GG is every bit as surreal to think of today as it was 2 months ago). I personally wanted #GamersAreAlive or something as a tounge-in-cheek to the whole "dead" thing. But then again, I don’t have 190K followers to spread that

Now with that out of the way I want to say a few things: the core attitude of the GamerGate supporters disgust me. But also, I AM a "gamer." Take the word away, I am still whatever new word you stamp on it, and the same will apply to all other gamers. I only recently found about the End of Gamers and I think it has caused some bad behavior on the pro-inclusion side of the argument. It took me a while to understand why I was having clashes with fellow gamers that insist I stop calling myself one.
    Being a gamer is a broad thing. It’s like being a boxer, a runner, a football player. Should football players stop calling themselves such because some of them are beating women and children? I feel that is a very poisonous mentality: instead of fixing it, just distance yourself from it. And it is a very hypocritical thing. I see wave after wave of posts from the pro-inclusion camps telling some GamerGate supporters that they should "own it" and correct their fellow supporters when they get out of line, but then, instead of doing the same for fellow gamers, these pro-inclusion just decide to distance themselves from the word, try to find a new word for what they are.

A new word won’t change anything. Eventually, everyone will call themselves whatever the new word is, and we will be back at the same place, dishing the then-old term to distance once more from a poisonous environment.
    TLDR: GamerGate disgust me, but I’m a gamer and I can’t change that. It is who I am, and if anyone dare judge "how dare I identify myself with a hobby so much (I seen it come up)" then I will have to kindly tell whomever says that to go !% @#%%^ #% @#%$^. I play games, I make games, I grew up with games, and I will be a gamer for as long as this body of mine can keep me going. Now let’s stop arguing semantics and word usage and start trying to fix the real issue!
    PS: Apologies for my bad English, it is not my first language.

Quinn and Sarkeesian, while their practices are questionable, are mere irritants and are not a focus of Gamergate at this time. The allegations against Quinn were merely the straw that broke the camels back, the shot heard round the world. There are far greater issues that have been uncovered and changed already because of this movement.
    The tag may be a bit over the top, but that doesn’t degrade the core issues of the movement