Okay, I don't even use Twitter, but I'll try to launch this hashtag anyway.
    #GamerGate seems like the perfect storm for dividing gamers and getting them to rage at each other, at gaming journalists, at "social justice warriors", at "right-wing extremists", and everyone else. I'm not even going to try to talk about who's right and who's wrong, because there are already thousands of people posting about this on The Verge and every other tech/gaming site.
    How about instead of arguing about who's wrong, we could talk about what what would make things better for everyone who enjoys video games, regardless of their gender, and regardless of whether they identify as gamers or not?

An Antidote to #GamerGate?

Here are a few suggestions to start the discussion:

1. Gaming should welcome people regardless of their gender, race, religion, or sexual preference.
    2. The fact that gaming is becoming more diverse is a good thing, and should be celebrated.
    3. Gaming could benefit from more diverse, well-developed player and non-player characters.
    4. Gaming should be fun.
    5. Being fun is not mutually exclusive with being serious or being taken seriously.
    6. Criticism should be expected as gaming becomes a more influential art form.
    7. Just because someone couches their criticism about games in academic jargon doesn't make their opinion any more valid than someone who approaches games from the viewpoint of an enthusiast.
    8. Some people just want their games to be fun. Other people want games to be tools of positive social change. Arguing that people from one group should be more like the people from the other group is a waste of oxygen.
    9. There's nothing wrong with sex or sexy characters in games.
    10. However, if characters of one gender are only portrayed as sex objects, players of that gender will understandably be alienated.
    11. We, the gamers, are the ones who ultimately decide what gaming is all about -- not the journalists and not the critics.
    12. But that also means that we, the gamers, have the responsibility for whether the gaming community is vibrant and open, or a cesspool of hatred and intolerance.

I like the points and the idea. I really wish it wasn’t necessary. I can’t stand the fact that every debate becomes name calling and vitriol online. Even this, were it to gain traction would eventually be co-opted by the trolls.

Because it isn’t necessary. I’d estimate that 99.999999999% of all gamers in the world haven’t heard of gamergate and wouldn’t give even 1/10000th of a shit about it.
    Gaming is fun. Gaming has always been fun. And gaming doesn’t need more drama being dragged into it from people who just want attention.
    People on The Verge need to start realizing that they’re becoming an echo-chamber like reddit, except here you only have a worthless fraction of the audience to reach out to.

To me, gaming has always been an art, and art shouldn’t have a guideline. Gaming should be an uncontrollable, wild, and free expression. Gaming community is like the internet community, and I don’t agree with a guideline for either. Individuals can argue their ideas, but to employ a responsibility for every gamer to shape behaviors of others just doesn’t seem to quite fit the mantra of free information. Like speech, I may not agree with what someone might say, but I will defend their right to say it.

look, if you want to launch a hashtag-campaign you need outrage. you don’t get outrage by being deliberate and sensible.
    hashtag-campaigns only work if you oversimplify the problem and create mindless anger. the whole point of twitter and hastags is to be oversimplified and scream loudly, instead of think hard. there is no way in hell you can have a meaningful discussion under a hashtag. and if you try, you will always be buried by the other ones, the stupid ones, because they scream louder. they are also posting faster because they only need to repeat lies being fed to them instead of educating themselves to have an opinion on their own.

Even if gamers did get this started successfully, what happens when the trolls currently using GamerGate start to post threats and harassment with GamersUnited?
    That’s one of the biggest problems with movements on twitter. There is effectively no way to police your own hashtag and exclude elements that you don’t want.
    Have a few people post hateful things with the hashtag, the media will focus on it and accuse anyone using the hashtag of supporting an agenda of hate, even though they have no control over who else uses it and for what purpose.