Now that we've heard Chris' opinion, I'd like to hear what the Verge community thinks:

1. What is the best portable game console you can buy right now and why (ex. Vita, 3DS, Shield, etc)
    2. What is the best portable game console you have ever owned and why (ex. GameGear, Gameboy Advance, PSP, etc)

Share on Facebook Tweet Share Pin
    Now that we've heard Chris' opinion, I'd like to hear what the Verge community thinks:

1. What is the best portable game console you can buy right now and why (ex. Vita, 3DS, Shield, etc)
    2. What is the best portable game console you have ever owned and why (ex. GameGear, Gameboy Advance, PSP, etc)

Share on Facebook Tweet Share Pin

TIMN: The best portable game console you can buy

1. Nintendo 3DS – It has the best games of any portable console right now. There’s very little out there than can really compete with Fire Emblem: Awakening, Legend of Zelda: ALBW, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Pokemon XY and ORAS, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, SMT IV, and Monster Hunter 3 and 4.

1. Playstation Portable – I was running custom firmware on my PSP so I had access to an incredibly wide range of software: normal PSP games, NES/SNES games, Genesis games, GBA games, PS1 games, and homebrew games (like this MUGEN-like Smash bros clone). The only other platform that had access to a larger catalogue of games was the PC.

I have extremely fond memories of staying up all night to create characters for Smash GP on the massive gaming laptop I had in Highschool (I made a Kirby character that became extremely popular in a few PSPforums back in the day). It’s a shame that I’m getting too old and too busy to really have that type of gaming experience anymore.

I really love my Vita. We’re a small but loyal clan of users, and I feel like most people who give it a shot are similarly delighted with it. There’s a wide variety of quick play games as well as deeper experiences. It’s obviously most useful if you’re already in the Sony ecosystem — a PS Plus subscription really ends up paying for itself with all the free games.
    I also love playing on my iPad, and in fact I don’t really like to play games on my iPhone as much anymore — screen just feels too small most of the time.
    That said, I’d love to get my mitts on a 3DS. I’ve always been a big Nintendo fan and there are a strong handful of exclusives that I really want to try now.
    Best portable console I ever had was probably my original Game Boy, just because I had it at the age when I had the time to play the damn thing non-stop. That, my DS Lite, and my Vita are my favs.

Hey Nathan,
    I’m not sure how much input you have on the editorial decisions, but have you guys ever considered asking the community for input before posting TIMN articles rather than just letting us discuss things on the forums after (kind of like Lifehacker’s Hive Five). It’d be a decent way to get a wider range of perspectives and find some lesser known/niche candidates for the TIMN topic.

Most of the games I play on my iPad are fairly "casual" in that you can just pick up and play them for 5-10 minutes at a time. I know there are more involved experiences, but I just havenít got into too many of them yet.
    So the stuff Iíve been playing the most lately includes Threes, Rayman Fiesta Run, Leoís Fortune, Monument Valley, Two Dots, Tiny Wings HD, and Zombie Highway 2. All games I could play on my phone, but I much prefer playing them on the bigger screen for the most part.
    One of these days Iíll finish Swords and Sworcery, and Iíd very much like to get into Lost Winds 2, for a couple games that take a big longer to play. Iíve tried getting into Punch Quest but itís so random I just donít know WTF Iím actually doing.

I’m also a happy dual wielder of a Vita and iPad – it’s a solid combo. I have a 3DS as well, though, simply because I couldn’t resist the siren call of the Link Between Worlds bundle combined with Bravely Default (which I have incredibly complex opinions about) and Fire Emblem (which is awesome, but I just haven’t played enough).
    You speak truth when it comes to Sony’s incredible gaming ecosystem; each system or service you buy into enhances every other Sony gaming product you own.
    What are some of your favorite iPad games? Right now I’m mostly hooked on Hearthstone and FTL (which I absolutely adored on PC and am thrilled to have in a more portable form). I’ve been tempted to play XCOM: Enemy Within on iPad – I played the Enemy Unknown on PC and loved it, but don’t know how the iPad experience compares.